SysRescue Definitions Update

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by nmp0906, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nmp0906

nmp0906 Registered Member

Is there a way to update virus definitions during sysrescue creation? I have an isolated machine that currently has no network access to perform updates on boot. I am running x64 NOD32 building with the win32 .msi file and it uses definitions from early February (which I assume came bundled in the installer package) and not the current version (installed).

EDIT: Latest build of EAV4, of course.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you intend to use the rescue cd on a computer with EAV/ESS installed that uses a newer signature database version, the newer version will be used after booting WinPE.

3. nmp0906

The machine the CD is being used on does not currently have EAV installed on it, and thus no virus definition files. The machine is in such a state that I can't install software on it, which is why I am wanting to use SysRescue created from another machine that it is installed on.

My question is whether or not there is a way I can update the virus definition files to the latest version prior to burning the SysRescue CD such that I have a CD with SysRescue and the latest virus definitions without needing a network connection or installed copy of EAV on the target machine.

4. KaneComputing

KaneComputing Registered Member

I, for one, would like to see a way to update the definitions on SysRescue by allowing it to get the latest definitions generated from the mirror creation feature of EAV/ESS Business and then stored on a USB drive.

5. trencan

trencan Eset Staff

Now it is not possible to take virus definition from installed EAV, when you choose .msi file as source for EAV files. In that case virus definitions are taken from msi. On other side in case of x64 bit OS you don't have another possibility only to choose msi file as source.

6. nmp0906

So if I were to install the 32-bit version of EAV and create a sysrescue disk using the installed files (as opposed to the .msi) then it would use whatever definition files were installed on the machine?

I would really like to see the SysRescue program download the latest virus definitions during ISO (or USB, etc) creation such that it doesn't matter what you use as the source, it always has the latest defs provided you had an internet connection at time of creation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.