Syskey - a way around it?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by luciddream, Feb 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

A friend keeps his Syskey stored offline on a floppy disk, and accidentally formatted that disk. He hasn't restarted his computer yet, and knows the next time he does he's screwed. Is there any way to get around this? Disable it entirely? Reset the password without needing the old one?

The only thing I'm seeing is this tool:

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

... sounds like it carries some risk of screwing things seriously up though. I'd like to avoid this route if at all possible, second only to having to reformat altogether. I was hoping someone in here had a better solution.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

which version of windows is it?
    you may be able to create a password reset disc from within windows.

3. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

sorry, it's XP Pro SP3

The more I look into it, the more I think the situation is hopeless. Unlike most Windows PW's that can be somewhat easily cracked/bypassed, it seems there isn't jack you can do to get around an un-locally stored SysKey. It's a practice I employ myself. In fact, I told him about it. Even the tools designed to get around this stuff (ala the one I linked) specifically state the problems associated regarding SysKey... and says the tools will either be ineffective altogether against it, or carry a high probability of crippling your HD in the process.

If anything, this experience has taught both of us just how effective a measure storing SysKey offline really is. And... not to lose it. Because it seems pretty much inpenetrable.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.