Symantec vs Macfee? [Corporate]

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sosaiso, Dec 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

I have recently come to have the choice between either Macfee enterprise provided by work, or Symantec Corporate provided by school. I was just wondering which one, if you had to make the choice, would you choose? I want to have the better protection, but I also want to have low resource usage. My friend who is running Macfee right now on a P3 said that he had his computer brought down to its knees by Macfee. And I guess Symantec is slow enough as it is. :/

So a rundown of my questions:
    - Which is lighter? [in your experiences]
    - Which has better detection? [I read on AV-comparitives they are about the same?]
    - Better heuristics/real time protection? [Am willing to sacrifice for this one.]

Much appreciated.

2. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

IME McAfee VSE8.0i has the least amount of system inpact, memusage is a little high as to all the processes that is runs, but then again SAV 10 is a HOG on my systems, if I run SAV I tend to still use version 8. 9 was ok but still a little heavy. I have a PIII that runs SAV 8, with no problems, on another PC a AMD 2000+ that has a gig of ram and VSE 8.0i with Patch 11 that has absolutely no slowdowns at all. But as always give them both a shot and see what you think.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

McAfee VSE 8.0i without a doubt.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

McAfee would also be my choice.

McAfee Enterprise is a very light AV, despite the numerous processes totalling between 25-35 MB VM.

We tried a very early release of SAV 10 at work on a number of workstations but it slowed down a variety of machines to a crawl, so for now we are staying at SAV 8/9. But apparently this performance loss has been greatly reduced with subsequent Maintenance releases.

For overall malware protection, particularly if you can install the Spyware module, I would favor McAfee.

As suggested try the two and see which one suits you and your system.

But which ever one you choose make sure you download the relevant upgrades; Patch 11 for McAfee 8.0i and the relevant Maintenance Releases for SAV 10. The problems of high CPU usage and the long startup scan in SAV 10 are apparently now greatly reduced.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  5. dwax

dwax Registered Member

I also would say go with McAfee.If you chose Symantec,when you go to uninstall it you will lose your update at Microsoft. Symantec still has no idea how to uninstall its software with out takeing other files your PC needs.

6. sosaiso

Oh god. I just uninstalled it. I lost all ability to automatically update?!?!

7. dwax

dwax Registered Member

Go see if it works,if it dont there is a fix to the problem. It took me 3 weeks to find it,was about ready to re-format untill I saw the fix.

8. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I'd lean more towards SAV 10...although be prepared for more of a system slowdown than you may be used to if you used prior versions like 9, 8.x, etc.

I've had too many bitter experiences with McAfee (yes their corporate versions) in the past that has left a bitter taste in my mouth for their products.

9. sosaiso

How does one actually test automatic updates? I have it set to daily at 5pm, but nothing ever pops up at 5pm. :/

10. ohmy

ohmy Guest

McAfee Corporate 8.0i shows negligible impact on my old 600 MHz PIII.

11. ohmy

ohmy Guest

Someone has ripped-off my Username.

NOD32.9

12. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Should have registered. ;)

13. dwax

dwax Registered Member

I dont know how to check auto updates,but open up IE select Tools and go to Windows Update.Check for updates manualy.See if it locks up on you.If it dose then Symantac took the files you need to run Windows Update. If this is the case,your auto update will no longer work.

14. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

McAfee uses ActiveX...which is a big thumbs down for me.

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Thats not true. VSE 8.0i doesn't use it.

16. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Agreed. Get a patent.:D

Of the two I lean towards Macfee. No matter what the product is. Just me I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.