Symantec Uninstall woes??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by cristofski, Oct 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cristofski

cristofski Registered Member

I have seen a few posts on this forum regarding uninstall issues with Symantec. I'm curious about this because I've been using SAV 8 and 9 for the past 2 years and have had relatively few issues. I have seen issues with uninstall due to file corruption, but a general uninstall has been pretty clean. In the next few months I will be upgrading at least 6000 users to SAV 10. I would liek to understand what sort of problems to expect.

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

As far as i can remember Corporate Editions aren't affected that much. More problematic was NAV2004 for home users. They seem to fix it alot in NAV2005.
    Haven't tested NAV2006 yet...

3. dwax

dwax Registered Member

I tried to upgrade from NIS 2005 to NIS 2006 and it was a night mare! Once it was installed it would'nt open up.It just sat in the task bar with an red X in it.I uninstalled it and tried to put NIS 2005 back in and thats where it got real fun! I could'nt boot upI ended up doing a system restore,once that was done the red X was still in the task bar.After about 4 hours of this I said it's enough! I uninstalled it did a sweep with SYMCLN and went to McKfee Security Suite.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I guess I have been fortunate with Nav. I haven't had but one instance where I had trouble uninstalling Nav to upgrade to the next version. I accidently got careless deleting another program and corrupted the windows installer, and let me tell you that a manual uninstall of nav was a real B####. But like I said it was not the fault of Nav in that case. all other times uninstall went very smooth

5. tamachan

tamachan Guest

6. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England

Doesn't work on Corp Edition though...thread poster is doing a Corp Edition upgrade. AFAIK there are no automatic removal tools for Corp Edition...has to be done by hand (it'll take ya a few minutes).

Cristofski, I've not run into issues doing "upgrades" of Sym CE, generally if any network/clients were going to exhibit issues, it's the first time Sym CE was installed. I've seen a case where, for some reason, corrupted DAT files from the head server will hose a local install, services will fail to start, you can't uninstall the program because it technically never completed installing, so deleting the program files entry, common files entry, and the Symantec entry in Docs and Settings All Users would allow a reinstall.

The only hiccup I can recall in the near past, was at a big insurance firm I was deploying an 8.0 ==> 9.0 upgrade to, some of their rigs were older, not fully windows updated (the Win9X clients)...and those needed one particular Windows Update applied (I forget the name of it, not the Installer, but something else related to that).

I don't know if you have to stumble with any legacy Win9X rigs or not.

7. Wabo

Wabo Registered Member

SymNRT only removes the following Norton products:

* Norton AntiVirus 2004/2005
    * Norton AntiVirus Professional 2004
    * Norton AntiVirus 3, 5 and 10 User Pack 2004/2005
    * Norton SystemWorks 2004/2004 Professional Edition
    * Norton SystemWorks 2005/2005 Premier edition
    * Norton Password Manager 2004
    * Norton Internet Security 2004/2005
    * Norton Internet Security 5 and 10 User Pack 2004/2005
    * Norton Personal Firewall 2004/2005
    * Norton AntiSpam 2004/2005
    * Ghost 2003 or Ghost Version 9.0

Plus it is only recommened that you use it if you are having problems removing it via Add/Remove programs.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...sf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

8. cristofski

cristofski Registered Member

I am indeed using the Corporate edition. Don't have much experience with the Home user suite. From everything I've seen on the corporate side of things. Symantec has been pretty good. Some of the management pieces haven't worked as advertised but the product itself has given us what we wanted. I'm just trying to keep my eyes open for possible issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.