Symantec To Release SONAR- Behavior based protection

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Thankful, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It would definitely increase the protection level for Symantec Norton users but I am not sure they can do it so that it is light on resourses . Generally Norton is heavy program but if we add an behavious analysis , then it will be real resourses hell , in my opinion . Let's wait and see what will happen :) ;)

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i still wonder how kaspersky has all the modules in kis6.0 with only two processes and is really light.
    since your an eset person hi techboy do you fear that the suite from eset will be bloated? because i hope it isnt for your sake and the other users.
    also will eset get a behavour blocker or will they just improve the heristics even more?
    bit OT but the fact is norton is normaly very bloated because it uses most of the stuff from different vendors which means good protection like sygate firewall etc etc but means bloated.
    kaspersky is all in house
    nod32 is all in house
    antivir is all in house
    dr web is all in house
    which means they are all made by the same company and are designed to work together.
    back OT,
    since norton is genrally used by home users that use it because it comes with the pc how are they meant to cope with the popups?
    lodore

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Lodore , with all the respect , I am not an ESET person . I don't work for ESET . I am simply a NOD32 reseller and user .

I don't know , Lodore , but I am sure they know best how to make it the best so that we - their clients , are happy . :)

ADD: Let's stay on topic

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i meant you liked eset software and are a reseller.
    i didnt mean literally that you worked for them
    lodore

7. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

Norton 2007 is very light on resources !

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

how many processes and how much ram?
    i doubt its as light as kis6.0 or nod32 no way!
    lodore

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

no lodore its not as light as kaspersky, not by system performance or RAM, but it is still light, just as kaspersky is not as light as dr.web on system performance, although it is by ram.

ram and processes mean nothing for how 'light' it is, its system performance what counts, try some benchmark tests to see how one does, some AV's will surprise you ..that although seem light, are not. :D

10. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

Norton 2007 takes less resources than nod32 an KAV, but it's not light as nod32, but It's light that KAV.

11. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

I got tired of testing and jumping around, so I just bit the bullet and got NAV 2007 for another year, while I wait and see if AV's get all the issues ironed out.

Symlcsvc 168K
    AppSvc32 2500K
    CCSVCHST 2500k
    ALuSchedulerSvc 912K
    CCAPP 1250K

I think that's all .. still learning my way around. No slow-downs that I've noted so far. The only quirk I've found is that if I have the googlesyndications junk in my Host file - web pages that use them 'hang' and never load. I had to bypass the entry in the hosts file. I suspect that maybe NAV is changing something related to the 'localhost' 127.0.0.0 perhaps.

Scan on my old 650Mhz AMD Athlon, 512Meg Ram and 2 HD's 1-80meg 1-10meg (used only for downloads) took 1Hr 20mins. Granted, not as fast as other AV's I've tested, but I only scan once a week and while I'm sleeping so no matter.

Will try and report back when SONAR is released. Seems to me its going to be something similiar to Prevx1 or maybe OnlineArmor - could be wrong.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok i stand corrected maybe symantec are learning that people want something tha dont slow there computer down but protect them.
    lodore

13. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Just a curious, where I can find such benchmark tests?

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

high firefighter,

pcmark05 / passmark /

there are many good reputable benchmark tests out there

15. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

You can use Pcmark , 3Dmark

16. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Those are to benchmark video performance and card...not other stuff. PcMark requires WMP 10 or above which has nothing to do with benchmarking a computer's performance. I got rid of WMP10 and 9 and I have only 6.4 on this Dell XPS600. Not having WMP10 certainly hasn't diminished the performance of my computer.

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

they are not just for video performance.

they test everything, your CPU, how fast to open windows screens, HD speed, cd speed, basically everything and believe me, it does alter with different AV's in, some more dramatically than others.

no problems here for dr.web and the benchmarks though, look out MCAFEE! *lol*

18. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

This is complete BS. NIS and NAV have always used inhouse components. Thats why they were the first to release publicly (not beta) a version for Vista because they didn't have to wait for another Company (like ZOne waiting for Kaspersky) to deliver a dependent component. Please get your facts straight.

Btw.. the Sygate firewall is not in the Norton Consumer product.

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i thought the sygate firewall was part of the norton home products and thats why the firewall was better in the newer versions.
    why buy sygate firewall if you not gonna use it?
    i found norton 2003 the worst of all the norton products
    lodore

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

2007 is by far the best,

but 2005 will be the one i always remember, rushing out to buy it after i trialed it, even though it was a bit of a hog, 2005 worked great although it did have un-installation problems (sometimes), i liked 2005.

i hated 2006..... uurrrggghh

but 2007 is super

i just find it weird a company as big as them, can go from ok, to crap, to wow within such a short time, i suppose it helps when you have a nice annual turnover :D

21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well i was reading a pc mag the other day and they said that some years norton is great and some years it hardly detects any trojans and the program is rubbish.
    so wouldnt it be better if all the versions from now are good:D
    lodore

22. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

I got the update today for NAV 2007 pushing out the SONAR. So far I've not found any 'new' extra processes running, and the other processes have remained at about the same level of usage. So it appears it has little if any impact on the AV.

I've found no options to change or turn/on-off. Guess if it just 'runs' there is no need to mess with it.

So far I've not noticed any slowdowns in surfing speeds. I did catch on one occasion a 'new' Icon in the systray for just a second which I suspect may have been SONAR scanning something - but it left before I could my mouse over it to see what it was.

NAV 2007
    OUTPOST Pro 4
    WinXP SP2 AMD 650Mhz Athlon, 512meg ram.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a2pre) Gecko/20070202 Minefield/3.0a2pre Firefox ID:2007020204 [cairo]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.