Symantec supports the Internet Kill Switch..

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by gregd, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregd

gregd Registered Member

Just thought I'd mention that Symantec actually supports the "Internet Kill Switch" bill.

Press Release about it

2. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

So in an extreme circumstance, they could shut down the Internet here in the USA for 30 days, unless that shutdown is extended.

Considering that the internet is everywhere, a 30 day shutdown would be a disaster. Plus, this govt can't do anything in 30 days. It takes them that long just to start talking about a problem.

My suggestion, leave the Internet alone. Stay out of and away from it. Let the Feds get any more control and the next step is taxing it into oblivion. The Internet is doing fine just as it is, without Uncle Sugar sticking its nose into it.

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

looks like norton/symantec is off my list of vendors i would ever support or use software from.

4. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I've NEVER used them,and after this information,I'll never suggest anyone to use software of this company!

5. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Looks like I'll be letting the rest of that license expire...

7. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

OK, besides whether FUD or not (see that DSLR thread), this looks like in my humble opinion a political related thread and that is not allowed on this board. The New Year Well-Wishes thread has been closed. Time to close this thread too.

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I disagree, though that may not matter much. This is not really a political thread but instead shows some objectives of an internet security vendor. People should make informed decisions when deciding to make a purchase. At least, I think we all would agree with that. Anyway, when making an informed decision about whether to support a company some people include a social consciousness. If a person disagrees with a company's social or political stances then it is perfectly fine to choose not to support that product.

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Though I've never been a big Symantec fan, I do say they should be given a chance to explain their stance (Have they?). Perhaps they, like the general population of blind sheep, were given the same old "it's for our own good" song and dance the government and special interest groups always perform to get their way. But that's neither here nor there. Before we send Symantec out to the courtyard to face the rifles, I'd like to know what they have to say. After all, a world without security threats is very, very bad for them.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Now this is some real BS! :blink:
    I know it's true, with BS i mean it's unbelievable! o_O

11. culla

culla Registered Member

i'd love to see the chaos a 30 day shutdown would cause :eek:

12. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

BS and possibly the most ignorant thing Ive ever heard. In order to shut down internet they would have to suspend satellite, cell towers, etc. US server providers would just start hosting sites off of US soil so they could still be accessed in a "critical" situation. It wouldnt solve anything and only create more issues.

13. Heimdall

Heimdall Registered Member

14. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You honestly think they don't have that kind of power? Read the above post for an example of how Egypt is doing it right now.

I'm not sure how giving the goverment a kill switch would help Symantec, imagine 10 years from now when 90% of businesses depend on the Internet to make an income and the goverment shut it down for 30days... Are they going to compensate every company? They should not have that much power over the business world.

15. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Time to wake up,seriously.

16. gregd

gregd Registered Member

Full text of the actual bill can be read here. It's strike-out text until page 197. Warning - it's a 412 page PDF.

S.3480

I'm not trying to turn this into a discussion about politics. I do believe it has huge ramifications to "security" and the companies that back such legislation. Provided the discourse doesn't take an ugly turn (about the left or the right), I would hope that the folks who run Wilders see fit to leave this here as it relates to security.

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

~ May I remind all members of our Terms of Service policy regarding political content.

If this bill is ever signed into law, we can discuss its security implications only at a later date. This thread is closed. ~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.