Symantec Security check

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by chaos16, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

I have done a security check.
    And for hackers it has all stealth except oneo_O? the first one = ICMP Ping Ping. Ping is a network troubleshooting utility. It asks your computer to acknowledge its existence. If your computer responds positively to a ping, hackers are more likely to target your computer.

How can i make it stealtho_Oo_O

And the antivirus check say i have no antivirus. But i do Kaspersky antivirus pro 5.0.20

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

3. chaos16

I tested the common ports and all service ports and the both showed that all my ports are stealth WOW!!!!

Dos that mean i am really protected by hackers and other things.

Is there a way that i can protect my ip or no.

I have a router (hardwarefirewall) So it shows a diffrent ip not my computer ip.

4. chaos16

It says this

Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
    One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.

Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
    All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

That that is really goodo_Oo_Oo_O??

5. TopperID

Yes, it's good! It is actually testing a port often used for file sharing and if you are exposing NetBIOS hackers could detect you and find a way in.

I can't remember how many ports there are (probably about 65,500), so you have only tested a handful. You can do individual tests for specific ports, but you would need to know which ones are of interest by running something like Active Ports, looking through FW logs and that sort of thing.

I don't know if you are still 'pinging', but if you are it could be due to the hardwire FW rather than your software FW. I hope you are using a software FW BTW 'cos it deals with outgoing traffic.

6. chaos16

But i did the all port test not only the common port test and it was all stealth and the description as u see above says that is really good and very secure.

And if thats the case i am very happy :D :D :D

But i am not sure wat do u thinko_O

Can u give me any more links to more tests pls.

7. TopperID

8. chaos16

They say my computer does not respond to there probes so they are stealth is that really goodo_O

9. TopperID

Every port can be 'open', 'closed' or 'stealth'. If you have an open port a hacker could locate you and stuff can pass through the port. If it is closed a hacker could still find you, but he would have to break in, so it wouldn't be so easy. If all ports are stealth the hacker would not even know you were there to break into. That is the theory of it anyway. So 'stealth' is good!

10. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Looks like no one responded to this part -- but I think it's already been well covered elsewhere.

With extremely rare exceptions (if even those), Symantec won't recognize any a-v except their own. That's strictly a marketing ploy, to get you to buy theirs. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.