Symantec incorrectly flags Yahoo Mail as a virus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Malcontent, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

and thats why norton has practically zero false positives, look how quick they were to get onto it and fix it, i suppose these big companys can do that quite easily, but what they have in that aspect, they usually lack to customer support, thats how it goes with big vs small, i do like the new norton though :D

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

One post removed. Please check the topic of the thread before posting.

4. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Ayup, Symantec is quick.
    A few years ago, NAV (I ferget what version) clained there was a virus in message that had been mailed to a list I was on.

I reported this to the authors, who reported this to Symantec.
    Fix was issued quickly. KAV 6 reports this false positive, guess I'll have report the problem at some point.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i remember once my sister made a word document at school and put "{delete this bit}" in square or round brackets at the part she wanted to edit later when she emailed it home.
    the word attachment was scanned by norton before being downloaded to hot mail but it was flagged by norton to be a macro virus due to {delete this bit}
    never reported it thou.
    lodore

6. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Reporting a false positive to Symantec used to be quite frustrating. Do not know if it is any better now.

Used to be, you would would send the false positive file to Symantec, and some automatic process would merely report back the same false reading provided by th software. Do not know if tere was further review by humans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.