Symantec Hacked And Dumped

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by chabbo, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'm not quite following the logic behind Anonymous. First they brag about rights to anonymity and then they release private data of 4000 ppl.

3. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Hack...-Symantec-and-ImageShack-Servers-304344.shtml

http://techaunt.com/anonymous-begins-november-5-hacking-spree-by-attacking-paypal-symantec/

Anonymous claims to have dumped user and employee account information on accounts from PayPal, Symantec, Australian government websites as part of their November 5th protest. According to the various Anonymous Twitter accounts announcing the hacks and linking to document dumps,

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  4. vojta

vojta Registered Member

Revolting.

5. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Engaging in criminal behavior to make a point may prove very unwise for the perps.

6. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

The problem with anonymous is that anyone can lead, you may find 31 year old computer engineer will rally anonymous to keep up wikileaks pages and or try and get someone who was wrongly imprisoned to be freed. Then you have that spastic 15 year old tyler who is a mean/arrogant teenager, who rally anonymous to taunt and ruin a girls life, or hack symantec etc.

The problem is that there are way too many ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ teenagers who gets places they should not and use the follower mentality to mess with people like the little jerks they are.

You would be surprised, a lot of the older more mature of that group will work in groups of 4 - 5 of the friends online they know. And the rest are groups of 50-100 angsty american teenagers who just wanna hurt peoples feeling for (quote) the lulz, roofflltsttt lmao haha noob, etc etc ... These people are morons.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2012
  7. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Mm true,..I'm not someone that looks for conspiracy but, anonymous is so open for psyop.

8. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I used to be into that scene when it was more about security and vulnerability assessment which was about 5-6 years ago. I think the problem is with the modern computer being so accessible to young people, when you hear the term "cyber terrorist" you are most likely being told about something some 15 year old jerks did because they are bored and don't have good parents / morale values.

9. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I thought it meant their own 'anonymity' and not that of other people they're targeting. In other words, they go after various organisations without anyone apparently knowing who they are hence their collective name. That's how I see it. :)

10. *

IMO you are sort of right though... The basic problem is that distance kills empathy. It's a lot easier to steal stuff and hurt people at a distance, where you don't see the consequences - and that applies to adults as well as adolescents. The Internet very readily creates situations where one can cause harm without any kind of personal interaction, and our limbic systems didn't evolve to deal with such situations.

Obviously some people are more susceptible to this trap than others, but I think almost anyone can fall into it... Not just adolescents with ego problems.

11. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot post removed.

12. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

It's simply because Anonymous has so many sub-groups and plus there is no "membership". Any person can pull a stunt like this and claim Anonymous. As another here said, a few years ago they were more "together", though the sub-groups still existed. As time has gone on, "top people" have fallen and Anonymous and Wikileaks divorced so to speak, the original mentality has given way to a free-for-all. It seems to have really switched direction around the time LulzSec came on the scene.

The release of data in cases such as this is more about showing how badly secured customer data is in these large corporations than it is about hurting customers..even if that's exactly what happens ((I never claimed Anonymous had geniuses in their ranks.)). The Paypal hack has a long history behind it which you probably have read about many times. Anonymous now is more like a less-organized street gang than it is anything else. That's what has kept them from being totally dismantled and, ironically, what will eventually be their downfall in my opinion.

13. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Yep. It's that easy to hack any "giant" vendor :D

Damage control 'smokescreens' for this company took place quickly and quietly on other threads here, earlier today :rolleyes:

14. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Just in case you want proof of their work :D

15. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

It is very disturbing to see Security vendors having their Websites hacked! :mad:

16. Tomwa

Tomwa Registered Member

I am generally approving of Anonymous (The anti-hate activities, freedom, digital rights,etc.) but this is just stupid.

Just fixed a friends of mine web-store after it was kindly wrecked by some "Romanian Anti-Sec" group.

17. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Any updates regarding this? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.