Symantec Endpoint Security 11.0 released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by midway40, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlonra

dlonra Registered Member

To block an application you can add a Rule to the Firewall under "configure".

I'm not worrying about other outgoing connections. I'm trusting that the Pro-active protection is sufficient. Too bad is doesn't scan all the time (like Threatfire). Although this is heavier on resources.

I like it very much so far. I had some wifi-connection problems. After 2 reboots the problem was gone. I have an old pc from 2001 (1 Ghz). It's not slowing down at all after register cleaning (my favorite: registry purify). Untill a few day ago I used Avast, Outpost and SpywareDoctor. Much heavier !!!

I'm using Privoxy as an addon. Otherwise pop-ups and adds will appear.

Question: is the license valid till the end of days ? Is this actually a beta-product ? Or is it because of the Corporate nature ?

2. axfleming

axfleming Registered Member

I was initially disappointed at the lack of outbound connection alerts too, so I uninstalled the firewall part and installed Outpost 2008, but Outpost is still rather buggy.

Then I realized I could just make a set of block and allow rules, with the block rules at the end for all applications, and then the allow rules at the beginning for a selected apps.
    I don't bother with creating application specific rules.
    Now I don't need notifications, since everything is set to block by default, and I have to specifically add applications to the allow rules.

So in Configure Firewall rules, after the first 3 default rules, I have in the following order:
    1. allow localhost, all ports, all apps
    2. allow proxy, specific port, specific apps
    3. block proxy, specific port, all apps
    4. allow subnet, all ports, all apps
    5. allow all, all ports, specific apps
    6. block all, all ports, all apps

Nice and light 25 (according to Symantec) mb suite, with fine grained control!
    :D

Also:
    1. you don't need to click Block in Network Activity to get it to show in the App list; just click Allow even though it is already selected, then go to your allow rules and select them there.
    2. This way a little tooltip pops up from the systray icon telling you which app was blocked when it tries to access the internet.
    It appears to me to be a reverse of most firewalls, where you apply rules to apps; here you apply apps to rules.

P.S. If someone can point out a flaw in the order of my rules, I would appreciate corrections!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  3. dlonra

dlonra Registered Member

I'm still having connectivity problem between the Sygate teefer driver and my wifi connection (Sweex USB-stick). Most of the times ther's no connection, so I removed SEP for now.

Can anyone help me o_O

4. ink

ink Registered Member

I found this pop-up, this process in application list status is ask, neither allow or block, but when I open application list again, no application any more, you can not configurate to ask.

Attached Files:

5. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I really don't think it makes sense to try to get the Sygate derived SEP firewall to act like a typical application based firewall. Its like tearing the trunk lit off a sedan and saying its a pickup truck. Just install SEP without the firewall and use something else. It seems to get along with Comodo 2.4 just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.