Symantec Endpoint Protection

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by whitedragon551, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Anyone have any experience with this? I know its a corporate or business AV. From my experiences so far it seems to be better at managing resources than its home user couterpart. I assume detection definitions are the same.

2. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 was old code and NOT the same as the Home/SOHO 2010/2011 stuff with good detection ratings. They just came out with Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 with the latest Sonar and Insight. So if you do go with it , watch that you don't buy the old version 11.

3. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Symantec has v11 listed as the latest.

4. ichito

ichito Registered Member

I have SEP v. 11...it's lighter for system and more powerful than previous versions. I have office lap and many options are fixed by our administrator but I'm still able to change many other options e.g. my own applictions net-rules, sensitivity level of key-logger detection, heuristic, excluded programs.
    I find it hard to tell if this is a good for a single user but for corporate usres it's very good and comfortable.
    AV definitions update are the same for (after majorgeeks.com)
    "Supports the following versions of Symantec antivirus software:

Norton AntiVirus 2011 for Windows XP/Vista/7
    Norton Internet Security 2011 for Windows XP/Vista/7
    Norton AntiVirus 2010 for Windows XP/Vista/7
    Norton Internet Security 2010 for Windows XP/Vista/7
    Norton AntiVirus 2009 for Windows XP Home/XP Pro/Vista
    Norton Internet Security 2009 for Windows XP Home/XP Pro/Vista
    Norton AntiVirus 2008 for Windows XP Home/XP Pro/Vista
    Norton Internet Security 2008 for Windows XP Home/XP Pro/Vista
    Norton 360 version 4.0 for Windows XP/Vista/7
    Norton 360 version 3.0 for Windows XP/Vista
    Norton 360 version 2.0 for Windows XP/Vista
    Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0
    Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition 12.0"
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Norton_Virus_Definitions_2008200920102011_d5772.html

5. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

6. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

7. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

A few points about SEP- The current version is 11, but version 12 (in which Proactive Defense actually works in Server OS's) is well into Beta. Also in no way assume that protection in SEP11 in any way parallels NAV because it isn't even close. SEP will give you mid level protection at best (please see the Symantec support forums for yourself to verify).

Finally, if the product is to be uninstalled use Cleanwipe (from Symantec). It will remove any trace of the program on your system.

8. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

cruelsister

I have Symantec AntiVirus Corporate, Full version 10.1.6.6000. I was told to upgrade to Endpoint that I should first remove what I have entirely. I am not ready to do so now but when I am I thought I could remove the software safely with Revo Uninstaler. Do you know if my thinking is correct or not? Also, do you know if Cleanwipe will remove my Corporate Version? Any suggestions or recommendations will be very much appreciated and I would thank you in advance.

John

9. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

If you are a home user then you would be much better off going with NIS. I do not believe SEP will do any better at protecting your home network than NIS. Unless you need Remote Management capability then it would be senseless to spend the extra money to get SEP. I've tried both, and it seems to me that NIS stays more up to date in technology by rolling out the the latest features in a more timely manner. In a corporate environment network administrators do not always welcome the addition of new features or technologies because it can sometimes be a challenge to implement them into their network without causing problems.

10. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

JP- By all means use Cleanwipe! It is a multistep process needing a reboot or two. It is the only tool that I've found that will remove everything for either the new EP or the old Corp versions.

Cleanwipe, alas, is not readily available from the Symantec site. You normally have to send in a support ticket to get a password and site from which it is downloaded. As I'm sure you have better things to do please see your PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.