Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 ??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by iwod, Mar 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwod

iwod Registered Member

The PR here

http://www.symantec.com/about/news/...k_marketwire_linkedin_2011Feb_worldwide_sep12

Shows version 12 was released on Feb. However the beta is still available and it seems final version is not yet shipped. ( Despite it has been on sale for some time) , confusing.

And it seems version 12 finally uses technology and engine from Norton 2011. Which is great because version 11 previously lacks of the goodies, and it was slow like pre Norton 2009 days.

Has anyone tested it yet? I am trying to get my IT manager to upgrade to it. Since our computer has been slowed down by a lot by our AV.

2. syk69

syk69 Registered Member

I'd like to test this out as well. If its true that it will incorporate Sonar and Insight it will be a very good product.

3. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

How do Symantec's Endpoint Protection products compare to Norton Internet Security? Would a Home User be better off with Symantec Endpoint Protection?

Thanks in Advance.

4. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Does the admin console still use Java? If so, I would not touch it even with a 10ft pole. Also, for anyone considering a purchase for business - well for at minimum 2 update rollups before even starting with any test deployment.

5. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Does anyone know if the Proactive Security Module(s) work on Server 2008? I was really surprised that it didn't on SEP11 (and never got a comprehensible answer from Symantec).

6. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

In your link provided, it says:

That means, it is in private beta now and will become a public beta in Apr 2011. The announcement actually tells you that a new version is available, but is currently in beta form, not in released form.

7. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hi,

From the link you posted, I gathered this information nearly at the bottom of the press release page:

8. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Chubb,

It looks like you beat me to it by approx. 5 minutes... :D

Regards,

Carlos

9. dschrader

dschrader AV Expert

Let me clarify.

Symantec is currently shipping Symanted Endpoint Potection (SEP) 11 RU 6 and SEP SBE 12.

In Feb., we announced Symanted Endpoint Potection 12.1 and Symanted Endpoint Potection SBE 12.1. Those products are currently in an invitation only beta. Public beta and general availability will be later this year. You can sign up for the beta at:

go.symantec.com/sep12beta

If you purchase SEP 11 or SEP SBE 12 today, you will be eligable for a free upgrade to SEP 12.1 when it is available.

The 12.1 products are based on the same security technology as are the Norton products. In addition, the enteprise products offer central management as well as policy type features such as application and device control and the ability to be a full featured network access control client. So

Consumers - Norton
    Small Business - Symanted Endpoint Potection SBE
    Medium to large enterprise - Symanted Endpoint Potection

We also offer hosted solutions through our ".Cloud" solutions.

10. doktornotor

Is the management console still based on Java?

11. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

And...what about your corporate clients that are CURRENTLY running SEP 11 RU6 MP3? Will they get SEP 12.1 upgrades for free when it becomes generally available or is this for clients that purchase SEP 11 right now?

Thank you

Carlos

12. dschrader

dschrader AV Expert

cruelsister, the Proactive Security technology (TruScan) is being replaced with SONAR 3. Yes, it will work on Server 2008.

13. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Great, Finally. My Company will switch to it ASAP.

14. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

The latest version number can be found here:

Symantec Endpoint Protection
    http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=releasedetails&key=54619

Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition
    http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=releasedetails&key=55357

When a new version number is released, it will appear something like:
    http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=releasedetails&key=52023
    or
    http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=releasedetails&key=53847

Attached Files:

15. dschrader

dschrader AV Expert

Actually iwod, your going to have to wait. SEP 12.1 (the one with SONAR and Insight) will be out later this year. You can sign up for the beta though:
    go.symantec.conm/sep12beta

16. cruelsister

Server not found for the above beta link.

17. cruelsister

18. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

He wrote:
    go.symantec.conm/sep12beta

Find the error :)

19. PeZzy

PeZzy Registered Member

Been using Symantec for many years at my place of work...it's horrible...absolutely horrible. Malware installs without a hiccup and you find out a week later that a computer has been infected.

The early versions of SEP11 would bog your windows 2008 server with its continuous write operations and after awhile it would block domain computers from accessing the group policy - Microsoft's recommendation was to uninstall it.

Every time you install a new version there is likely something about it that breaks your network.

It's sad that there are so few choices for large companies.

20. doktornotor

Yeah, absolutely horrible product even a year and couple of service packs and update rollups after release, I have described my experience with the alpha-state "enterprise" solution here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1662012&postcount=5

Also - still no reply whether the management console still insists on using "portable" Java? o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.