"Symantec Core LC" service: How 2 REMOVE it?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Birdman, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

I just uninstalled Norton Internet Security 2006 & Norton Systemworks 2006. To make sure I uninstalled Norton completely....I used the Symantec/Norton Removal Tool and cleaned the registry (manually + w/ registry cleaners).

All went well except there is a Symantec service that is still showing up in SERVICES called Symantec Core LC. It is disabled, but I would like to remove it from there. I tried using HijackThis, but the service is not showing up there.

In order to DELETE the name/item....would I have to go into RegEdit? If so, where would the entry be located at?

I would appreciate help in removing this item from the service menu.

2. bktII

bktII Registered Member

Birdman,

Have you tried googling to see what others have successfully done in this situation?

I have removed services a couple of times when Sysinternals RootkitRevealer did not clean up after running. Here is a URL from Sysinternals entitled "Removing junk in services list":

http://www.sysinternals.com/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1650&PN=1

"Open a command shell (Start->Run->CMD or Start->Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt), then for each service entry, type:

SC DELETE <name_of_service>

e.g. SC DELETE MQHIG

They recommend that you use the sc command with care.

Sysinternals also provides a link to Microsoft's "How to Create a Windows Service Using Sc.exe" here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=251192

There is additional information on syntax including "sc delete".

I don't know what backup strategy you use, but I would recommend you backup your system before trying this. At least create a restore point if you do not have a backup strategy.

bktII

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Birdman,

Possibly less involved, check Yellowhammer's third post here. Note in joe1212's HJT log the service file symlcsvc.exe is missing.

Good post bktII. Beforehand though you'd want to stop, then disable the service or driver in question's startup.
    Additional sc page including examples.

GF

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  4. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Thanks for the help bktII, GlobalForce. The Symantec service had NO .exe, thus there was nothing to terminate or use the "command prompt." I just needed to remove the entry from the Services menu....which I finally was able to do through RegEdit (as explained in the 1st link).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.