Sygate, Zone Alarm

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by lvhkyjr2, Jan 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lvhkyjr2

lvhkyjr2 Registered Member

Any one who has used both Sygate personal firewall and Zone Alarm (free ones) give me there opinion on which one they decided to keep and liked more?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have used both and I prefer sygate for my own use. Za worked alright it just seemed that sygate worked better on my comp. I don't use either one now I use mcafee firewall 4.0 which works very well for me. ;)

3. FreePatriot

FreePatriot Registered Member

I've been using Sygate for years.And its the only software firewall I use on my machines.I've tried ZA and the protection was good but I prefer Sygate.I used the free one,but now I use Sygate Pro 5.5.

4. lvhkyjr2

lvhkyjr2 Registered Member

ya, im using sygate right now but the problem is that the new version 5.5 has a slow start up on my computer and the build that fixes that is 2525. That build is the newest one and is also only a beta version as of right now untill they release the final one. So I was thinking about trying zone alarm out until the final one is released. Not sure if the pro version is having the same problem?

5. Sumire

Sumire Registered Member

Hi,lvhkyjr2 :)

I know that some people report same problem about Sygate's newest version's slow start up issue. Some people go back to Sygate's older version(5.1), others just change software firewall. The choice is yours. I personally use Zone Alarm Pro 4.5.538 but I think Zone Alarm Pro is also relatively slow start up software firewall. If you like faster start up software firewll, my recommendation is Outpost Pro or Kerio 2.15. I use Kerio 2.15,too. which is still good software firewall.

I haven't used mcafee's firewall, maybe mcafee's firewall is also good choice. ;)

just my two cents worth.
    Best Regars

6. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

The latest version of McAfee Personal Firewall Plus is NICE!!!

It loaded easily, is either preconfigured or you can use a wizard or do it yourself. It's stealth everywhere I tried it . It's pleasing to the eye, I think, and provides lots of information, and doesn't seem to use many resources.

I haven't bothered with any leaktests so can't comment on those.

7. NeonWizard

NeonWizard Registered Member

I;ve used both Sygate and Zone alarm. I like zone alarm better because it gives you more info on what software is trying to access the net.

I got both of them installed, but Sygate only in case the ZA shuts down for some reason.

8. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

[move]Welcome to Wilders Newbies [/move]
    I think you might find the ratings on this site helpful. http://www.firewallguide.com/software.htm

I used ZoneAlarm free and now use ZoneAlarm Pro which gives a greater level of protection.

9. RobNyc

RobNyc Registered Member

i have a similar problem too. i haven't tried sygate free but i am and see if the same slow down happens with free, cuz sygate pro was a total slow down, zap was fine i been using it ever since i had used outpost v1 n v2 for a few days before but i always came back to zap, hmm i also used kerio not v2 cuz i dont like rulebased, right now im just gonna try sygate free if it happens again ill unistall and try looknstop if i dont like it i guess go bak to zap

10. RobNyc

RobNyc Registered Member

Well I used all ZAP versions and they were all perfect with my system startup was fine. umm but yea with Kerio v2 was the fastest because the smaller the file the less resources is gonna take, and ZAP takes a lil less than SYGATE

11. HiSpeedV

HiSpeedV Registered Member

In my opinion, Sygate Personal Firewall PRO is a solid product. Have been using it for a long while.

Best regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.