Sygate Pro V ESS

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Palombaro, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palombaro

Palombaro Registered Member

I have been running Sygate pro for years but currently trying ESS. Using ESS on Interactive filtering mode it closely resembles Sygate in behaviour. Have tried a number of leak tests with both and found comparable though slightly different results. Would appreciate any comments as to the differences. I am thinking of giving up Sygate because I already run NOD 32 antivirus and because Sygate is no longer supported or updated though it still continues to work.
    What do people think?

2. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Sygate Pro depends in part on signatures for its protection. These have been out of date for months if not a year. I don't think anyone should depend on it today.

3. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

It all depends on your view on leaks. Sygate isn't a leaktest giant but it's inbound protection is second to none. It does the job it was made for beautifully and is by no means obsolete.

4. Palombaro

Palombaro Registered Member

I agree with you Beavenburt and that is why I have continued with it long after its execution by Symantec. Just wonder given lack of support - signature updates as I understand it are not so important - whether it is time to move on. I have a high regard for NOD 32 and thought ESS might be the way forward especially as with interactive filtering it operates in the same manner as Sygate.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Diver, the signatures in Sygate Pro are for the IDS, which I am pretty sure only applies to inbound traffic, port scans, etc. So in my mind they are not too important...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.