Sygate Pro IPS Signature Update?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by bigkatt74, Oct 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigkatt74

bigkatt74 Registered Member

Does anyone know if there has been an Intrusion Prevention Signature Update in Sygate Pro? I just reformatted this laptop and installed the Pro version 5.5.2710 and it automatically updated its IPS signature file to 5.5.4073.

The last version I was aware of was from red_jack through his installer that was version 5.5.3055. Has anyone else been updated to this? I had "auto updates" and "check for new versions" unchecked since this firewall was discontinued.

Is this the signature file in Sygate Pro 5.6.3408? I am just curious about this......Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Sygate was bought out by Symantic a few years ago, No updates since... It's still a great old firewall.

3. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

Actually some months ago someone else reported this. I gave it a try, and to my surprise it updated. Symantec appears to have the update server functioning for some reason?

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Does this work on Vista? Or just still XP and below?

5. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hi,

If my memory serves me well, I think it only works on Windows XP [the OS the majority of Wilders members use from what I can gather].

Right after Symantec acquired Sygate back in 2005 they discontinued developing Sygate, and Windows Vista wasn't even out by that date [it was released in January 2007].
    So it's correct to assume that Sygate works only on Win XP.

Kind regards,

Carlos

6. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

SP is in SEP (Symantec Endpoint Protection) it's now labeled as Network Threat Protection. Last update was today!

7. bigkatt74

bigkatt74 Registered Member

I have never tried or heard that sygate works with Vista (some reports of installs in XP compatibility mode on Vista). I have no idea if its stable. I only use sygate on XP and Win2K and don't use its default settings.

I use IPv.4, dont use a proxy, and have disabled "act as server" and "allow ICMP" for all apps. I have created several rules regarding Time Sync, DNS, and DHCP. I am NOT concerned with all the leak testing hype that has surfaced in the last few years. I am only concerned with a handfull of leak tests and sygate passes them. I also dont use IE and have it locked down in Windows and blocked with this firewall. Some programs do require server rights (like my Torrent client software and some IM programs) but I keep these in check.

I have been using sygate for years and find that it still serves me very well. I prefer stability and a pure firewall compared to the current state of developers that seem to only be concerned with an excellent rating on Matousec's view of firewall testing. Of course this is just my opinion, but we all know what opinions are like (LOL)!

The link below is the best website I have found at setting up sygate personal firewall to be more secure than its "out of the box" settings.

http://www.kotiposti.net/string/SPF_eng/SPFGuide.html

---BigKat---

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.