Sygate Personal Firewall??

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by BBQ, Jul 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBQ

BBQ Registered Member

Sygate personal firewall o_O?

Anyone with experience using Sygate FireWall. I just recently installed the free version. It is working fine. However, I don't know how to block future scan from certain IP addresses. What is the correct setting to block scan from 'unwanted' IP address. Thanks.............

2. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

Re: Securpoint Free personal Firewall - Comments??

Scans will be blocked automatically,but i don't think you can PREVENT someone from scanning your IP.

What you can do is block connections with a certain IP(using advanced rules),but that's another story.

3. Snook

Snook Registered Member

Re: Sygate personal firewall o_O?

You would do that under Advanced Rules however, I don't know if the free version supports Advanced Rules. You would block both incoming and outgoing (block all) specific to the IP address you want to block.

Advanced Rules override all other settings so be specific.

4. paulson

paulson Registered Member

Hi BBQ,
    stay with the Sygate FW, it's worth it.
    At http://www.sygate.de/konfiguration/start.html you'll find a german text that explains the configuration in detail, (the pictures are in english ;) ). Check it out, german language ain't that heavy...
    You can disable the notification of port scans or other attacks as well. What is reported is no problem,' cause in case there's a note Sygate has everything under control. The dangerous events are the ones you won't be noticed of. So keep Brain 1.0 installed while surfin' and use firefox. Sygate can handle the rest. P'haps think about purchasing the Pro Version, lots of advanced features.
    Have a nice day
    paulson

5. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hello BBQ,

You can't stop scans - sygate is notifying you about it and is blocking them. You can shut the pop up alert off, the warning is still being logged to the security log and the tray icon blinks.

Yes, the free version does have advance rules - use them to block otherwise "legitimate" in-comming/out-going traffic. For example, if you want to limit an app to a particular port or IP address or block a particular IP address or IP range from your system.

Regards - Charles

6. SmartyX

SmartyX Registered Member

I highly recommend Sygate Firewall.
    I am using the free version, and very happy with it. Can't think of any reason for buying the pro version, for regular home-users the free version is good enough I think.

7. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

The reason for the Pro version is that it adds Active Response, which automatically blocks an IP address that scans 5 or more ports on your computer in less than a minute for up to 2 weeks( the setting is up to the user a max of 999,999 seconds which is about 2 weeks and a day or so) and you are allowed unlimited advanced rules. The free version only allows a certain number ( 10 or 20 I think, not sure I have the Pro version). Both are very good firewalls though. Yes the free version should be more than adequete for the average home user. And you can't beat the price!!!

8. Azn_Tweaker

Azn_Tweaker Registered Member

9. SmartyX

SmartyX Registered Member

I certainly do like Outpost. Have used the free version for two years, but there weren't any updates....... and Outpost started to give me trouble > blue screens etc.
    I do not want to pay for a firewall, so I switched to Sygate. Very happy with it.

10. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi smartyX
    yes id recomend sygate firewall also and i think the free version is good enough and the help section is wonderful if you need it.
    Rita

11. chew

chew Registered Member

I am new to the Firewall thingy and I intend to install one but presently having hard time trying to decide which one to choose.

Have been reading threads posted on WSF since yesterday. Still very not sure as to which one suits me.

I'm reading info. on Sygate and Kerio at the moment. Have not shortlisted any yet.

I'm looking for one that is:

1) Easy to install and to uninstall (leave no residues in the Registry whatever they are).

2) Do Not conflict with my current settings ... including Applications ... etc.,

3) Easy to update (you know like SpywareBlaster you just click Update manually and everything is done.)

4) Does not conflict with my "institutional firewall" at where I am now.

5) Reliable and plenty of support. Forum etc., (I don't mean call them up I mean many people use it and got more knowledge than I do)

6) Not bulky and use min resources and don't slow me down if that make sense.

7) Easy to set up on the rules whatever they are. (I am willing to learn on this one and still trying to make sense of what Black Viper is saying ... hmmm ...)

Most importantly doesn't mess up my Registry or my setup. (I think I read somewhere where one of the Firewall has the tendency to reset everything for you ... I think Kerio? )

So there you go ... suggestion and comments all welcome.

I am looking at info on Sygate now ... Gave up reading Kerio half way through ... was getting a bit dizzy after reading all the heavy stuff ... :D

Cheers

Chew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.