Sygate Personal Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ukmitch, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ukmitch

ukmitch Registered Member

I am using Sygate PF in Windows 98SE.

What is that makes MSMSGS so persistent in its attempts to send UDP packets on the net, via port 1900?

Just what is it trying to send and am I right to block it?

Also WMP is a pain and, as I assume it is trying to send usage data back to M$ through port 80, I also have it blocked by my Sygate firewall.

Is this ok?

TIA.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Windows/MSN Messenger is a pretty powerful (maybe complex is a better word) application when it comes down to it. It can communicate in many ways to accomplish many functions. Since some of these functions require detailed network accesses, the msmsgs program uses Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) for things like communicating with compatible routers to open the ports it needs, on a temporary basis, to allow those functions to work.

As with all things related to security, if you are getting the access and functions that you want when you block all these packets in your firewall, then continue to block them. (Only grant the accesses you really need in order to make the functions you want to use work properly.)

As with the above, if you get the functionality you want from the media player when you block it, then keep on blocking. I have a total block rule setup for the Windows Media Player on my system as I only use it to play local files.

Best Wishes,
    LowWaterMark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.