Sygate Personal Firewall 1150 is released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by TAG97, Sep 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TAG97

TAG97 Registered Member

Sygate Personal Firewall STD and PRO 5.0 build 1150 is released
    Sygate Personal Firewall STD and PRO build 1150 are released. You can download from here http://soho.sygate.com/free/default.php

Please Note: It can take awhile to update all our download servers so please keep checking back until the links are available

Here is the current list of fixes for SPF STD and PRO 5.0 build 1150:

Fixed SPF not saving settings, unless you have exited SPF prior to shutdown or reboot.

Fixed a problem with "act as server" disabled SPF would still allow local ports.

Fixed a problem on Windows XP that would cause the computer to blue screen if Bridging is enabled.

Fixed a problem that would cause CPU usage to increase on a computer running Norton AV 2002.

Fixed SPF using 100 % CPU in allow all mode when being scanned.

Fixed 100% CPU usage with Windows XP with logging on and off using different user accounts.

Fixed a blue screen after installing SPF and rebooting the computer on Windows NT/2000/XP.

Fixed issue in SPF where local user has ability to run programs as LocalSystem on Windows NT/2000/XP systems

NetBIOS Protection can now be enable or disable by choice (SPF STD)

Fixed IP Spoofing Loopback Address issue

New feature(s):

Packet logs can now be exported in Network Monitor and Netxray formats

Last edited by Chris on 09-27-2002 at 07:16 PM

Report this

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Thanks for the heads up, Tim! Grabbed copies in the meanwhile ;)

regards.

paul

3. root

root Registered Member

Wow, with all the positive comments about Sygate lately, who would have thought it had all those problems? :eek:
    Looks like its much improved. What are the differences between free and Pro now?

4. TAG97

TAG97 Registered Member

Root:
    You better tell those Outposts' people to get the lesd out out of their A**S :D they're losing ground :D Where's version 2 o_O
    Regards
    Tim

5. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Thanks for the update notice Tag97!

root - here's the page that lists the differences between the Free and Pro versions of Sygate.

http://soho.sygate.com/products/comparison.htm

i am still using the free version (build 1117) myself....and considering the Pro version because it has the "Advanced Features" that the free version doesn't.....but i am not sure if the Advanced Features would be something that i would need or not, or how they would work together with a D-Link router/firewall? But the Advanced Features sure look great!

yup...i'm still struggling with how a software firewall and hardware firewall work together - LOL!

snap

6. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Guest

Can anyone tell me how to set up Sygate on WIn XP PRo? Was using ZAF, now trying Sygate. Not sure what to allow. NDIS User Mode I/O keeps wanting to connect - not sure what it is. ZAF was definitely easier to set up, IMHO.
    Thanks for any help.
    Jack

7. root

root Registered Member

Thanks Snap. Quite a difference there.
    Tim, I've been on them, believe me. Problem is they rewrote 30% of the code. It's practically a new program.
    They're trying to get all the bugs out as they saw the problem ZA had with version 3 loosing customers. They have also implemented a new Quality Control Department and a new Department dedicated solely to developement debugging.

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Can anyone advise me on upgrading from SPF free edition build 1117 to the new updated version?I have windows xp home os.Do I need to uninstall the older version?The update is available as a download.Where is the best place place to download the update on my system?I downloaded the older version to desk-top.I prefer downloading to "program files".Is this update an addition to the previous build or a totally new program?Thanks in advance for any responses.

9. TAG97

TAG97 Registered Member

Hi Tester:
    This is a quote from King a moderator at the Sygate Forum which I think will answer your Question.This new Version is an upgrade of the previous version.
    I uninstalled my previous version and installed 1150 because I thought the previous version was a little buggy on my OS. I find the 1150 real solid. So if your 1117 is working well I would install over 1117. Here is King's Quote

"What used to have horrible resutls has now been made very stable and commonplace. What do I mean? I mean instlaling new over old. They integrated it into the install process. It is really beautiful. It was tested in detail so feel free to download it and go over the top. It works just as well as the update button."
    Regards
    Tim

10. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Tester - i have XP-Home too and also SPF (free) build 1117 and was wondering the same thing "do i uninstall first or install over-top?" given i was two builds behind when 1150 was released. But since build 1117 was running smoothly (as far as i coud tell since i wasn't seeing any problems with it's operation)...i decided to just go for it and install over-top after i read what KING had said about installing over-top a previous version.

i made sure first though that i turned everything off that i could, disconnected from the net....even ensured that i had the previous version to not start on reboot.....note: when you install the new version it should tell you it has detected a previous installation of Sygate and also ask if you want to have Sygate start on start-up. i said yup! :D Rebooted my pc and everything went smooth! All my previous settings remained the same and it's still running smooth.

the only thing that concerns me though is i did have my previous version installed into the Program Files, which is the default folder.....so i am wondering since your previous version is installed to your desktop and not the Program Files, if the new version would detect it or not, and install it to the same place, or put another instance of SPF into the Program Files?

can anyone comment on that? would Tester have to do an uninstall of the previous version first, if Sygate wasn't placed in the original default folder, for an over-install to go smoothly?

snap

11. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Only a word of caution:

Will tell you to make sure you have followed all the instructions at Zone Labs to make sure you have" fully uninstalled ZAF. "

Some users have not done all those steps and ended up with problems with any firewall they have used to replace it.

12. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Tag and Snap,thank you for your responses.I downloaded the upgrade into program files in the existing Sygate folder.I treated it like an update.When it installed, it recognised the existing Sygate firewall program and saved my configuration.I followed the advice to close all programs including the older firewall during installation.It went very smoothly.I haven't noticed any problems.It was easy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.