Sygate & PeerGuardian 2

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Mrkvonic, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    It's a well known fact that Sygate has a local proxy thingy.
    I read the FAQ on PG2 site and they even recommend using PG2 with Sygate. Now, my question is: How does PG@ work? Beyond FW or behind it? I guess the answer is behind, based on what I have read. Still, anyone with first-hand experience, could you comment please?
    My guess is:
    Traffic - > FW - > PG2 - > P2P
    I'm particularly interested about Sygate, but other firewalls, too.
    Is this the way it works? Are you aware of any proxy-style leaks, problems etc?
    Mods, if you think this should be in a non-FW section, sorry, please move the thread.
    Mrk

2. Arup

Arup Guest

PG works at kernel level installing its own packet driver, as such I see no conflich with Sygate and PG.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    My question was not about conflicts but the flow of traffic.
    Does PG act behind or in front of a firewall?
    Who gets traffic first, firewall or PG?
    In case it's PG, are there any know local proxy loopholes or such with firewall that have this issue, like sygate or filseclab?
    Mrk

4. Arup

Arup Guest

The PG filter catches traffic first and all it does it compare the incoming IPs to a set IP table in its list, based on that it blocks or allows, as such, has no effect on any kinds of proxies to my knowledge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.