Sygate new release

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by manythanks, Oct 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manythanks

manythanks Guest

Just downloaded, shame they have not fixed the Proxy issue, if they had it would be a winner.

Thanks

2. TAG97

TAG97 Registered Member

What's New for the Firewall?
    This release of the Personal Firewall has a variety of new and enhanced features. Among them:

Provides "Deep Packet" Inspection—The Personal Firewall provides further enhanced intrusion detection and prevention capabilities, including alerts when another user attempts to compromise your system. The end result is a system that analyzes network packets and compares them with known attacks and known behavioral patterns of attack, and then intelligently blocks the malicious attacks.

Denial of Service (DoS) Protection—This enables the Personal Firewall to monitor and block incoming traffic with known Denial of Service (DoS) attack patterns. DoS attacks are characterized by an explicit attempt by an intruder to prevent legitimate users of a service from using that service by flooding a service with illegitimate traffic. This feature can be enabled or disabled.

Trojan Detection and Protection—Trojan protection is enhanced to identify, block, and terminate the process of more types of Trojan attacks.

Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) Protection—The Personal Firewall has a new option that protects computers from UPnP exploits. This feature can be enabled or disabled.

Log Dampener Feature—The Personal Firewall adds new logging flexibility and performance enhancement features, including the option to selectively enable or disable the security logs, system logs, traffic logs, and full packet logs.

Smart WINS—This feature allows Windows Internet Naming Service (WINS) requests only if they were requested. If the traffic was not requested, the WINS reply is blocked. The user can enable or disable this feature.

Active Response Protection—Active response is a feature that automatically blocks all communication from a source host once an attack has been detected. For example, if the Personal Firewall detects a DoS attack originating from a certain IP address, the Personal Firewall will automatically block any and all traffic from that IP for the duration specified in the seconds field. The user can now stop a current active response session.

Anti-Application Hijacking Protection—The Personal Firewall now protects against even more attacks, including such exploits such as "TooLeaky" and the Shatter Attack.

Enhanced performance—The Personal Firewall is now faster and takes fewer system resources.

Improved Logging Capabilities—The Personal Firewall adds new logging flexibility, including the option to disable all logs.

Support for Windows Server 2003—The Personal Firewall is now supported on Windows Server 2003 for Small to Medium Businesses. For server deployments greater than 500 seats and that need centralized management, Sygate Secure Enterprise is required.

Improved Microsoft System Installer Support—The Personal Firewall is now packaged by default as a Microsoft System Installer (MSI) package to simplify deployment with Microsoft SMS and other software distribution tools.

3. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Hmm, where do I go about getting this version of sygate? Do I run the Updte feature? or do I download a whole new installer?

4. TAG97

TAG97 Registered Member

Comp01 I got mine through options>update>check now
    Regards Tim

5. notageek

notageek Registered Member

They still haven't fixed the loopbck problem.

6. manythanks

manythanks Guest

OH! Iget it, maybe Sygate are using "anti application hijacking" instead of fixing the proxy issue, so instead of an application being stopped by the firewall as it tries to leave the computer - it is actually stopped as it tries to alter itself to mimic or install itself into the application.

Thanks

7. notageek

It could be true. Maybe I'll test drive it with Proxo and see if it works. :)

8. manythanks

manythanks Guest

How would you know if it works, you wont know until an application alters, I tried it with Command AV and it went right through without any action from SPF.

Thanks

9. notageek

Well if you tried the new sygate like that than it's not really fixed but you could use SSM just be on the safe side. Maybe I'll still try it. :)

10. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I think Sygate has jumped ahead of the field with the current additions. What I especially like is that they're one of the few on the market that will fully stealth your system by blocking browser and OS info from being seen. Besides being fully stealthed in all other areas, that just about covers it all. Only your ISP info is revealed and, in my case, all that shows concerning my browser is Mozilla 4. I might keep this version on my system along with my LnS and switch back and forth periodically, since I can't seem to stick with any one version very long. I like playing with new software too much.

11. notageek

Hi Chuck Are you talking about the pro or free?

12. manythanks

manythanks Guest

Sorry, the free

13. notageek

OK. What does the new free version offer?

14. manythanks

manythanks Guest

Anti Application Hijacking.

15. notageek

16. manythanks

manythanks Guest

That's it, if the user sets the Proxo to ask, then every time an application tries to access the internet the user is allowed.

Thanks

17. notageek

It's been like that. :) I don't think they will fix it either.

18. manythanks

manythanks Guest

That's it, back to ZAF if it's not being fixed.

Thanks

19. notageek

LOL That's where I'm at now. ZAF switching to ZAP after my vaction. :)

20. manythanks

manythanks Guest

That's a real shame because the firewall has great potential and if this issue get's fixed it will be better than ZA.

Thanks

21. notageek

It's a good firewall and I'm sure if you use it and SSM you could get by. I'll email Sygate and ask them if they plan on fixing the problem. I'll post the response they send me (if they send one) here.

22. manythanks

manythanks Guest

That would be great.

Thanks ;)

23. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I'm evaluating it right now. There's a big improvement on leak tests. But, does it still give server rights automatically if server rights is checked and no ports are entered in? I miss ZA's privacy features, and ZA + BI is hard to beat IMO, but I will give Sygate a chance.

24. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

I gave it a shot. Sygate blocked access for Perfect Disc even though both IP's and the broadcast IP were set to allow all in an advanced rule. LAN options worked fine and it blocked traffic from a trusted address for Perfect Disc access. I am sticking with Kerio as that is simply absurd! :mad:

25. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Sygate's also blocking my Weatherbug for some reason..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.