Sygate and Windows Updates

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by whvrgrl, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whvrgrl

whvrgrl Registered Member

Can someone help me set up an advanced rule so that Sygate will allow Windows Updates? When I use Internet Explorer for Windows Updates, it says there's an error with the site or that my firewall has blocked it. I don't think SP2 is the problem because why would Microsoft block their own updates?

2. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Because the latest update doesn't allow Activex controls to run the internet zone, you have to put windows update into the trusted sites for it to work.

3. whvrgrl

whvrgrl Registered Member

I put "*.microsoft.com" in the trusted zone. I know Sygate is blocking the updates since I looked in the traffic zone. It says that traffic from v5.windowsupdates.com has been blocked. Can you help me set up an advance rule that allows Windows updates?

4. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Try this, it works for me.
    In advanced rules, allow traffic from 207.46.0.0-207.46.255.255
    That IP address belongs to Microsoft.

5. forget the advanced rules business and just make sure you set "generic host process for win32 services" to allow or ask and let it connect to the internet when using windows update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.