Sygate 5.1 loopback issue???

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tansy, Mar 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tansy

tansy Registered Member

Could someone help me understand the loopback issue re Sygate 5.1 when used in combination with WebWasher or Proxomatron? I have been using WebWasher With Zone Alarm Pro 3.1 and other security software, but wish to change to another firewall because my ME based system is getting close to experiencing low system resource problems.
    How serious a security vulnerability is this loopback issue, re WebWasher?
    Thank you.

2. notageek

notageek Registered Member

It really depends. I find it used be a big issue with me but I started using SSM and felt better about it. I felt it was a big security issue (this was and is my feelings) I'm using Sygate again but I fell safer now. :) But I guess it could be a big issue if you ran into some sort of spyware or trojan that exploit the loop back issue in Sygate.

3. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I have SSM, too, but it could be serious if you just use Sygate to block outbound. One reason I'm reluctant to buy Sygate is their reluctance to fix this big issue.

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Kiwichick23

Sygate does not filter traffic (applications) on localhost/loopback. The security concern here when running proxy programs like Proxo is that users will not be prompted to allow applications access to the Internet when they are configured to do so via the proxy. You would still be prompted for rules for the proxy going out to the Internet, but not applications going through the proxy on localhost.

Depends on how much control you want over applications on your system accessing the Internet. When using a proxy for some applications, the localhost/loopback issue does not allow for full control.

Regards,

CrazyM

5. tansy

tansy Registered Member

Thanks guys,
    I just might stick with ZA, and dispense with a few recently added resource gobblers. I looked into running kerio 2.15, but I think the rule set thingie might be beyond me. I see I can save another 3% resources by not having a 'wallpaper' set.
    I'll just stop loading the camel with more than he can carry. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.