Switching NOD over to our new computer

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by SteelyDon, Aug 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteelyDon

SteelyDon Registered Member

My better [?] half is getting a new Presario and we need to transfer NOD32 2.5 over to it. So, how do we do it? I'm all ears.

Thanks very much.

2. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Re: Swithing NOD over to our new computer

How to transfer it? o_O Install a fresh version of NOD32 on it.

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

BEFORE you install a fresh copy of NOD32 on the new system, make sure you uninstall anything that has been installed on it first (as in antivirus software), if Norton has been install then uninstall it and then use their Norton removal tools.

Cheers :D

4. SteelyDon

Thanks.

..... uh.......... but if NOD is installed on a computer, can you install to another computer from the same disk? Or, if you download it, same question, more or less: how does NOD keep you from using it on 2 computers at once?

5. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Do you reffer to licensing policy? Using NOD32 is allowed on a single computer for the same license?

I don't know how are they verifying this.... perhaps the number of connections from the same IP.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Don't worry . The CD or the download is just the installer .

You must have NOD32 installed only on 1 computer if you have bought a single license.

Q:
    how does NOD keep you from using it on 2 computers at once

A: Thanks to the update servers . If they see your user/pass is on two computers your license will automatically be cancelled .

That's why :

1) Sit at the old computer . Goto Control Panel-> Add/Remove programs , find NOD32 and uninstall it . Reboot . Goto C:\Program files and delete the folder ESET

2) Sit at the new computer .

Remove any previously installed antivirus softwares

Download a fresh copy of NOD32 for your correct operating system
    Trial version Full paid version

Install NOD32 from the installer you just downloaded
    Use Typical settings

Make sure you have stable i-net connection and NOD32 (nodkrn.exe) is allowed to go through your firewall and Update NOD

Configure NOD32 as shown here

Perform full Scan&Clean
    NOD32 Control Center -> NOD32 -> Run NOD32 -> check all hard drives and Scan & Clean

Protect your PC

7. SteelyDon

Thanks.

On the new machine, do I enter the registration/activation number which I got when I bought NOD?

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

9. rjprice

rjprice Registered Member

Hopefully they only do that if they see your username and password used repeatedly on two computers, otherwise even a clean transfer (remove from one computer then install on another) could trigger this off!

Richard

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No , your NOD32 license is activated . You only enter your username and password which you received in an email during the install process when you are asked so . You'll see in the great Blackspear's tutorial which I gave you link
    :D

11. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Those who do the right thing don't have an issue.

Cheers :)

12. BigT

BigT Registered Member

I seriously doubt that eset would quickly blacklist a user/pass if a user is transitioning from one computer to another and has some overlap. That would be asinine. Not to mention that tracking update histories over the several servers would be painful if the user/pass sharing was brief and not egregious.

However, I've never had any overlap like this on my license, so I cannot comment from experience.

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

BigT,
    :thumb:

14. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

if you're behind a router, this would appear the exact same to the update servers as hitting the update now button several times - this COULD NOT be a valid method of signifying that a license was being abused unless it continues for a significant period of time.

15. NOD32 user

Don't you usually set up you clients to use a mirror in this case?

Somewhere there's a post by an ESET staff member stating simply that if they see interesting things in their logs then they make adjustments so that they become not so interesting.

16. BigT

BigT Registered Member

Exactly, there would be way too may false positives.

To be reasonably sure that a license is being abused, they would have to use some sort of activation system which would send info back to their servers about the hardware being used. You can't just rely on the IP address.

17. NOD32 user

....actually it could easily be told how many were updating from ESET from behind a router.

18. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    No, there are many home users who use NOD32 but cannot afford enterprise or admin version. This...within a short time period..Esets update servers can see many updates coming from a single IP address (the WAN IP of the router..since all traffic from behind a NAT router..no matter how many PCs there are behind it..all appear to come from the same IP)

Tracking a single user via IP isn't done either..lets think about some NOD32 users on laptops who travel. In a single day my laptop can appear to come from several different states in my country...not to mention a whole plethora of different IP blocks as I travel between different ISPs and VPN to various other clients..hence use their remote gateways.

Having a single user license update many times throughout a short time period even from the same IP isn't stopped either...I've been in a few situations where I've seen this. Yes the licensing was ultimately fine..the "site" was licensed correctly for the right numbers...but there's been a situation where a single licensed user/pass may have been put on a few rigs by accident. Or instances where a single users machine has had to be rebuilt or had NOD reinstalled several times in a row...in troubleshooting something...hence had frequent duplicate updates from same IP.

19. NOD32 user

In Australia licences for 2 or more PC's include NOD32 Professional, so it's no different for price.

I'm not trying to share the example of just how ESET could tell - it would be far too long of a post - suffice to say that they could. Maybe a bit of crossover or a short term honest mistake may be overlooked (maybe missed would be a better word) but if things start to look 'interesting' then it can be looked at in greater detail. I am not able to say the exact methods but isn't it sufficient to say that those who do the right thing do not have a probem?

Cheers :)

20. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    You guys have all the cool stuff in Australia! :D

One day...I'll travel down there...one day...

Yeah..methods..probably a little of this and that..following a common convention of opening an eye to anything that shows up on the radar as a blip. ;)

21. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It is the same here in Bulgaria . YeOldeStonecat , you can also come here in Bulgaria :D ;) :D :D :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.