Switching from Opera to SRWare Iron?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Adsweep is simply an element hider; it doesn't stop ads from being downloaded, which Iron can do via an adblock.ini file.

2. Arup

Arup Guest

The turbo mode is indispensable in public wi-fi access places like airports etc, while travelling I use Opera 10 on my laptop for the very same reason, its a lifesaver.

3. Eice

Eice Registered Member

After reading L815's posts, I decided to give Chromium a try. The latest nightly build (14559) actually feels even faster than Iron, if that's possible. Perhaps it's just due to starting from a fresh profile, but I'm now running it with Privoxy, configured it to run off a standalone folder, and am thoroughly sold.

4. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Two programs I've used almost since their inception are Opera browser and Forte Agent Mail/Newsreader. Both have single-key keyboard shortcuts. Opera goes a step further and provides an editable keyboard.ini file for remapping keystrokes and adding other custom keystrokes. Great if you prefer keystrokes to mouse buttons for an uncluttered window.

operaScreen.gif

Opera also provides a menu.ini file for customizing the menu items.

The main opera.ini file provides for fine-tuning User Preferences.

These are features that I wouldn't want to be without. So, I probably won't switch. Speed and Security are more than adeqate for me.

----
    rich

5. Eice

Eice Registered Member

If you're a fan of keyboard/mouse shortcuts, and don't mind editing config files for them, here's a program worth looking at: http://www.autohotkey.com/

I use it extensively to remap hotkeys when I play games, but lately I've found it to be very useful in adding custom shortcuts for Chrome and IE8, or any other program. You might want to check it out.

6. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Thanks - that sounds like a nifty program.

For years I've used this for shortcuts/macros in all of my programs:

http://www.macroexpress.com/

but having the keyboard.ini file built in to Opera is a bit more convenient.

----
    rich

7. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Yes, sure, but a lot of users in the world run behind the last pointless estension of FF because it " is " from FF. o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.