Switching from KPF options help

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Morpheus, Sep 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morpheus

Morpheus Registered Member

Hello folks,

My license for KAV 5.0 Personal is coming up to the time when it will need renewing (in about a month IIRC) and my personal firewall of choice, KPF4.2 will discontinue support at the end of December (my previous firewall Sygate Pro is being taken over by Symantec and then probably discontinued), so I now need to consider my options.

The first option is simply to renew my KAV Personal license and try and find an alternative firewall, Outpost Pro gets a lot of good reviews. However I have heard good things about the beta of KIS2006 and although I don't like running beta security software (especially when it comes to AVs and firewalls) the final version of this may be an option.

In the past I have always gone with seperate products rather than suites as this has always allowed me to pick the best of the bunch at each individual function, however more and more products are turning into suites and beginning to overlap in functionality so I am beginning to think that the suite route may prove to be the way of the future.

At the moment I am leaning towards one of the following combo's (I haven't got around to installing trial versions yet)

1. KAV 5.0 Personal + Outpost 2.7 (upgrading to KAV2006 + OP 3.0 when released)

2. Kaspersky Personal Security Suite (upgrading to KIS2006 when released)

3. KAV 5.0 Pro + KPF 4.2 (Upgrading to KIS2006 when released)

4. KAV 5.0 Persoanl + KAH 1.8, although not as cost effective as buying Personal Pro or KPSS as both offer free upgrades to KIS2006 which AFAICT contains KAH2006 and KAV2006 (upgrading to KAV2006 + KAH2006 when released)

Reading these and other forums I get the impression that KAH 1.8 is good but not as good as a number of the alternatives currently available but that the firewall in the current beta of KIS2006 is a different kettle of fish and is already looking good. Outpost Pro seems to be the current king of the of the crop when it comes to PFs but I know little of OP 3.0 other than it will include an anti-spam element which is not something i am really that bothered about as the one in Thunderbird works well enough for me (and I have used K9 in the past which was also very effective).

What are peoples impressions of my various firewall options, those who have tried the KIS 2006 beta what do you think of it? Similarly if anyone has tried a beta of OP 3.0 how do you rate it and generally do KAV and OP play well together assuming that the network protection module in KAV is disabled?

I have read the other similar threads but they don't really answer my questions or provide much in the way of reasons why people prefer certain combinations. I definitely want to stick with KAV (I have a license for NOD32 but prefer KAV) however I have yet to form any opinions with regard to the firewalls in question. From what I understand they are both in a similar vein to Sygate and Kerio (basically ZAPs for people who don't like ZAP) in that they allow for a certain degree of automatic configuration along with fine tuning by defining custom rules as opposed to a purely rule based firewall.

What do you think,

Morpheus

2. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I would just keep things as they are. If you like KAV, then stay with it. As for the firewall, KPF 4.2 will be good for at least a couple of years. I run 4.2 and don't plan to change until it's outdated.

Just my opinion of course, but kerio 4.2 was only recently released. It's a long way from being outdated.

3. Morpheus

Morpheus Registered Member

Sorry Chuck perhaps I should bave mentioned that I suffer from the KPF path bug which whilst they acknowledged it was a bug is now never going to be fixed and hence staying put is not a long term option.

Morpheus

4. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

ok, I've read of others with the problem. I'm lucky and nothing like that on my kerio.

If you're looking for a lightweight firewall, Antihacker ought to fill the bill, unless passing leaktests is a criteria. It isn't for me.

I have an older version of Kaspersky Antihacker, long expired, and every once in a while I'll install it when I get bored with whatever I'm running. I like it and recommend it. But, it won't pass any leaktests.

It's very light on the system. I never remember resource use higher than 6mb and usually it's lower. It's passed pcflank, grc, auditmypc, sygate, and a couple of others with flying colors. A very good little firewall, and I'll bet the new version is even better.

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

id go with the first option of KAV 5.0 Personal + Outpost 2.7. however if u find u do not like Outpost, option 2 of Kaspersky Personal Security Suite maybe an alternative.

6. me75006

me75006 Registered Member

I just upgraded from 2.15 to 4.1 to 4.2.0 and do NOT have the path bug.
    Paths show as c:\folder\yada\yada2
    Maybe try it out & see.
    ymmv

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.