SwissVPN

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by LoneWolf, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

2. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

I don't see anonymous payment options, just PayPal and credit cards.

Related question: How hard is getting no name credit cards? I suppose that depends on where you're located.

3. LoneWolf

Perhaps I should have worded my question a little differently.

Does anyone have any experience with SwissVPN?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  4. ArtemisX

ArtemisX Registered Member

tried their service a few months back it seemed to run pretty smoothly, setup was easy even with litlte knowledge of networking and VPNs. Download speed and general conectivity was good - my 4M up 512K down broadband didnt really feel any different for browsing and smaller downloads.

It was PPTP (or something similar) at the time and i've since read a bit explaining that PPTP is not very secure. Though i did recently see they're on openVPN now which sounds better (im sure there are alot of others here who can point you in the right direction on the differences).

I assume its hosted in Switzerland which has from what i've read (as alot of places these days) some rather intensive retention laws for data, though if its just general privacy in Wifi hotspots/ at work/sheilding from your ISP i'd say its fine. and its quite cheap too.

5. LoneWolf

ArtemisX, thank you for the info.
    Not very secure huh, guess I'll pass on this one.
    And the search continues.

6. ArtemisX

ArtemisX Registered Member

think im kinda searching with you here, was with Xerobank, good, but too expensive for me for now, so atm its SwissVPN as a stand in or trying something new.

7. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

Unless XeroBank's TOS have changed, it's OK to share accounts. Multiple simultaneous connections are OK. Of course, then you'd need to trust someone well enough to share ;)

8. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

Yes, for some years now.
    It is located in Switzerland,that is a positive thing, one of the few countries in the world that take some care about the privacy of people.
    So i don't want a VPN with one of their servers in a 'former free country' which 10 years ago wouldn't think about forcing their ISP and telecom providers to store data for years.
    But now do just those things, that don't belong to 'the free world'.
    Every anonymous service provider can, if they want retrieve data from their customers, there were incidents before that data was hand over by subpoena for example. So any Anon. Serv. Prov., like the ones often mentioned here can be ran/controlled/watched by a government agency. It is all a matter of trust. This and the quality, speed, service and very nice price make me a happy SwissVPN provider.
    btw the reason why i use it, is to prevent snooping at hotspots etc.
    For that i don't need more expensive services.

9. box750

box750 Registered Member

Around 6 months ago when I was searching for a VPN I came across SwissVPN, and I emailed them to ask for how long do they keep their logs.

They said they keep them for 30 days. I don't know how bad this is for you, other VPNs claim to have lower retention such as 7 days, in the end they all (single hop VPN) keep logs.

On the other hand I was happy that they did not try to BS me, as some providers do, and replied to my email the same day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.