SWIron = Scamware?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cloud, Aug 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carat

carat Guest

+1 :(

Important security updates? Doesn't exist in Iron! :D

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Yes, that's what the blog post basically centers on. I went through each one of the things listed. You can read the details for yourself - I've cited it all with various sources.

Iron misses critical security updates just as it misses non-critical updates to V8 and Webkit. Whereas Chrome/ Chromium were updated under 24 hours for the exploits that bypassed their sandboxes Iron took quite a bit longer.

Yes. For two reasons.

1) You can disable all of that stuff in Chrome/ Chromium.
    2) Never communicating with Google for updates to a program that's largely developed by Google is idiotic.

On top of that you're taking your trust away from Google and putting into a guy who is clearly pretty shady (based on the IRC where he states he's interested in adsense money).

Because it's telling users that they need Iron to be private while leaving them unpatched and with a false sense of privacy. That's my issue.

Continue using Iron, that's fine. I'm putting the information out there and while many people have taken it seriously I'm not expecting everyone to.

3. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

I dont know what happened to my comment it just disappeared, I dont know why a mod would have deleted it?

4. Hungry Man

Was it especially long/ can you repost it?

5. Warlockz

I lost it, and i didnt have it backed up on a note, Comodo Dragon doesnt update like Google Chrome either? so is it vulnerable like your saying Iron is?

6. Hungry Man

Dragon includes an updater based on the source use for Chrome's updater.

7. Warlockz

Ive been using Portable Iron from portable apps as a safe site browser when im working on peoples PCs ect, but I dont really mind switching to Dragon as my portable browser, just have to figure out how to import a theme, I already use Dragon on my home PC sometimes, but if Iron isnt updating like it should to cover Critical Updates I dont want to use it anymore. which is the only concern I have about Iron Browser, the rest is still basically null to me.

8. Warlockz

Here's a Comodo Dragon Icon I made to go with the BlackBeauty Icon sets for RocketDock awhile back, dono if it can be usefull to someone? or is the Icon in the center too small? feel free to do whatever you like with it.

Credit to IceBabee for the awesome Icon's! :thumb:
    BlackBeauty Icons
    BlackBeauty-Pack 2 Icons

Comodo_Dragon.png

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  9. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

Here's one reason that throws the credibility of that comparison chart out the window.

"URL-Tracker"

SRWares explanation... which is ambiguous for a reason and I'm sure it's not just language
    Here's a Chromium developers explanation of what it actually is

http://neugierig.org/software/chromium/notes/2009/12/iron.html

As for the use of Adsense, the point is the hypocrisy of claiming to protect you from Google only to shove the very basis of Googles data collection existence in your face to make money off of you. Also, you could use your same logic about "free stuff" to Google.

10. Warlockz

I guess I'm not going to worry about it anymore, congratulations you guys have convinced me to Stop using SRWare Iron Browser :thumb: Thanks for the info!

11. mhf

mhf Registered Member

I may be wrong but the Iron-start.com homepage has nothing to do with SRWare Iron which is here (the German version of the site is up to date) and the forum here.

Maybe those people having problems with SRWare Iron should post their questions on the official forum if they want answers to their doubts...

12. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

Both the iron-start.com and srware.net domains are registered to the same person.

There are no doubts. It's pretty clear.

13. irresponsible

irresponsible Registered Member

Why don't you all download the source from SRWares rapidshare link it is three files and it is out of date versions, 6.something last time I did and compile it and then check it out to see if it is different from chrome and what the differences are and whether Mr SrWare Iron is full of bs or not. Or is that too much hard work for all you frequent posters?

14. irresponsible

irresponsible Registered Member

And I could'nt help myself that is what a few drinks does so here goes.
    The downloads from rapidshare is 3 split files and join them they are about 1 gig.
    Hell there is only 172,ooo+ and something files in the total VS solution. Some 387 separate projects most of which are unit tests etc. Various forms of validation. Most of them you don't require in order to compile the Chrome project which is in there. Then from memory if you check the chrome documentation for developers they give a very good nice and simple explanation of the code layout entry point etc and you are home and hosed to check out Irons source vs whoever else and make your own judgement as to the validity of their claims. At, let me guess, 10 pages per file of source code averaged over all 172,000 plus you only have to read maybe 1.5 million pages of code. Most of them are third party librarys so you could take them on faith or check out their sites and validate them in a manner that suits yourself. Nuts and bolts write your own independent browser based on this open source and do a better job than Mr Iron or Mr Commodo or Mrs if that is the case.
    Be happy and don't sweat the small stuff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.