Swiftshader 1.5.0 in Chrome

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by emmjay, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I see that Chrome has auto installed an application extension called Swiftshader. It is from Transgaming Inc. I understand that it provides 3D rendering/HTML5. It does not show up in the extensions list under tools so I am assuming they did that so users could not disable or uninstall it.

V1.5.0 was installed on my system 20/8/2013. I do a full MBAM scan once a month and last month it stopped at file manifest.json file (from Swiftshader) and would go no further. I assumed it was nothing. I had to end the task. Today I ran this month's full scan and it stopped at the same file. MBAM just stops responding. I sent the file to virustotal and it checks out OK. A quick scan in MBAM runs clean. I was just wondering if anybody else had experienced this with MBAM or any other scanner.

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

what is the location of the file? also do you have a md5 hash?

3. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

File location: c\users\xxxxx\appdata\local\google\chrome\userdata\swiftshader\1.0.5.0\manifest.json

I left the laptop on overnight with just MBAM open, still showing 'not responding'. When I opened it this morning it was still in that state. I opened Chrome, got your message and decided to get the Md5 hash from Virustotal and as soon as I sent the file to VT, the MBAM scanner suddenly started up and finished the scan. It did not flag this file. I decided to just scan the file in MBAM but it ran clean and there was no hang. I have no idea why.

hash: SHA256: 8371ab069aaa75d2680cac2fb1ac15be4601bef0ffba59ee86be1a2ce99db987

Edit: I have been messing with this all day. Ran JRT and adwcleaner. Both clean, so I do not believe the system is infected. I cleaned Chrome's cache, history, temp files & rebooted. Started another full MBAM scan and it stopped again at the same folder and I got 'not responding'. This time not on a file, but on a shortcut 'safebr~3.virtual.lnk' which I believe is associated with Chrome's SafeBrowsing. I do not know if the browser's phishing and malware option is interfering with MBAM or not. Conflict maybe?

I am out of ammo. I have opened a trouble ticket with MBAM.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have that folder (created last year) but the folder is empty. After searching my computer I see I have a swiftshader dll installed and it is associated with ashampoo slideshow studio 2012.

5. Rules

Rules Registered Member

6. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Please, if someone would not mind helping me here ...

If you have MBAM and use Chrome, would you please run an isolated scan on the folder 'userdata' in c\users\yourusername\appdata\local\google\chrome\userdata.

RC on the folder and select MBAM scan (if it hangs I would really like to know).

So much appreciated if anyone would do this for me.

7. Baedric

Baedric Registered Member

I scanned the folder in question and MBAM completed without incident. Hope this helps.

8. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Nothing found here as well

9. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Thank you Bob and Gerardwil. I very much appreciate your help.

This has helped me determine if an compatibility issue exists. As it is clean for you guys then I am pretty sure it is not that. MBAM support suggested that I put the folder in the MBAM ignore list (after having run several tools and an eset scan they have determined that my system is not infected). I am not comfortable with putting anything in that list, especially browser created files.

I am leaning toward an uninstall/reinstall of MBAM and if that does not work, I will do the same to Chrome. Maybe a clean slate will do the trick.

10. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

A clean uninstall and re-install cleared up the problem. A full scan and an isolated scan no longer hangs on that folder. The Chrome folder is OK and no longer an issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.