Swapping drive cables

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Derek Baker, Aug 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek Baker

Derek Baker Registered Member

I want to swap my two drives around. Should I assume that they'll be no problem with the Secure Zone on one of the drives?

Thanks

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

It would help if you provided a bit more information as to what you want to do. What are the partitions on the two drives at present, and how do you want the future layout?

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Derek,

If you also opted to activate the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager (SRM) then I think you will have a problem. Activating the SRM modifies the Master Boot Record (MBR) of your system drive so that you can enter the Acronis rescue environment by pressing F11 during boot up. Clearly, after swapping your hard drives over, the modified MBR will not be on, what has now become, the main boot drive. Hence the F11 boot into rescue mode feature will no longer work. I haven't come across this particular scenario before but my guess is that, to restore the F11 feature, you merely need to activate the SRM again in order to write the necessary boot information to the new main drive.

Regards

4. Derek Baker

Thanks for the replies.

I have two drives, C and P.

C is the boot drive with a single partition.
    P is the backup drive with a small NTFS partition and the Secure Zone.

These are plugged into my motherboard via SATA ports 3 (P) and 4 (C). I want to swap them so C is on 3 and P on 4.

I haven't activated the Startup Recovery Manager.

5. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Registered Member

There's a good way to find out. ;)
    It won't kill anything to try it, if the system drive will still boot at the new position, you should be fine. Some SATA controllers want the boot drive to be in a certain slot. Acronis might change drive letters though, due to the new positions, so anything is possible with the secure zone.

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Derek,

Well, o.k. if you're sure.

Many (too many!!) users have just accepted the default option to also activate the SRM when they use the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard to create a SZ without realising the possible implications e.g. broken multi boot managers, trashed special recovery and diagnostic partitions, failure to boot system if SZ created on external drive that's been switched off/disconnected etc.

Regards

7. Derek Baker

Did the swap - no problems.

Thanks for the replies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.