Swap Hard Drives on Laptop

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bebatron, Sep 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bebatron

bebatron Registered Member

I have a Toshiba Satellite M35x-s149 Laptop using window's XP Home. it came with a 60gb 4200rpm Hard Drive. There is nothing wrong with it I just want a 100gb 7200rpm hard drive.

The 60gb has only about 35gb's of data on it. The new 100gb HD I put in an enclosure and connected it by USB.

I am using TI9 and tried to clone the 60gb. But it gets to 92% done then.
    ERROR: unable to read disc 1 (60gb) Sector 66593752 (retry, Ignore, Ignore all).

There is no way to: (retry, Ignore, Ignore all) So I power down an restart.

Maybe I should just buy windows xp home and do it that way. Not real happy with the True Image purchase.

Can someone change my mindo_O

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

First, if you have not done so, I would check your drive for errors by running "chkdsk.exe"--preferably from the Recovery Console "chkdsk.exe C: /R"

If you do not have the latest version (3677), then download the latest version from the registered updates site:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/updates/

Try cloning from the user created ATI Recovery CD after fixing any disk errors.

If for whatever reasons you are still not successful in performing a clone, you still have the option of using an Acronis full disk backup to restore you entire system onto the new larger drive.

TrueImage permits a backup to be created and temporarily stored on the same boot drive. You could create a new "full disk" backup of your current drive. The smaller drive could be put into the enclosure and new larger drive placed into the laptop. Then the image backup could be restored from the old drive onto the new drive (using your ATI Recovery CD). If you choose this route, be sure and make the backup and restore using the full disk option.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=182030

Your 35g of data will compress down to about 18-20 gig during the backup phase. You may need to transfer some stuff from your old drive onto DVD's in order to make enough room to temporarily store your backup pending its use to create the new drive.

There are numerous postings on this forum regarding updating a laptop with a new drive. Most are successful once they understand the procedure. I have owned numerous image backup programs and I fiind that TrueImage does an excellent job--for most people.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bebatron,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

As GroverH recommended please make sure you use the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If the issue persists, please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the issue persists, please enable logging by SnapAPI program, reproduce the program failure and send us the "snapapi.log" file which is located at C:\. You can also use Windows Search tool (available in Start menu) to find this file. Please also create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.