Swap File Encryption when to use it?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by demoneye, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

i cant see the "move the location of your swap" under my win 7 x64...
    am i missing something out there? :doubt:

2. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

Just uncheck "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives", set C: to "No paging file", and then set [LETTER OF RAM DRIVE]: to custom size. After "OK" and reboot, the swap file will be moved. Don't forget to delete the old pagefile.sys afterwards.

3. demoneye

oww awesome mate :D

btw what do u think on maybe easy way .. like creating a protected container(with bestcrypy or truecrypt) , and moving / set page file over there ...In your opinion can it be done like the ram drive way?

cheers:)

4. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

Putting the page file in an encrypted container is a great idea in theory, but unfortunately it's not going to work. The page file is initialized early in the Windows boot-up process... well before any applications (such as Bestcrypt) are started. Therefore it won't be possible to mount the container in time, so the allocation of swap space will fail and revert back to its original C: location.

5. dantz

dantz Registered Member

I don't understand why you're even considering putting the swapfile into a ramdisk (highly inefficient) or an encrypted container (plain impossible). The best approach is already sitting right in front of you. If you're using BestCrypt's container encryption then all you have to do is enable the swapfile encryption feature that's included in the program. As has been stated earlier in this thread, upon every reboot the swapfile is automatically encrypted with a new unique key that is not retained after shutdown. What's not to like?

If you feel that the above methods wouldn't provide you with enough security then the next step would be system encryption.

6. demoneye

yes i did enable this option , but maybe it can be hacked when stop the boot process at the dos level or disabling the encryption option in bestcrypt and than you get the swap unprotected / encrypted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.