‘Svchost’ overload.. I dont know what else to do, can some one help?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ghostecco, Dec 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghostecco

ghostecco Registered Member

I’ve just recently installed windows vista Ultimate RTM version and for some reason I have 12 ‘svchost’ processes all running at the same time… and almost completely consuming all of my memory. I’ve tried various anti spy/ad ware programs but none of them seem to work. Registry cleaning software does nothing also… how can I optimize my system? Also, I ran a “Hijack-this” scan and noticed a bunch of ‘file missing’ entries but im not sure weather or not I can delete these. Please advise. I appreciate any help help.

-Ghostecco

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Vista takes control above all memory for better control, then it assigns it to programs.
    So lets say, that you have 1024 MB and Vista takes 1000 MB, it is completelly normal.
    Of course, if you have 256 MB, that is another story, in that case look at Vista Guide.

3. ghostecco

ghostecco Registered Member

So its totally normal to have that many svchost processes running at the same time? Thanks for your help..

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

You might want to use this guide to see, which service belongs to the svchost process.
    Scroll down to: Determining the services running under a SVCHOST.EXE process in Vista.

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

It's beyond me to understand why call it svchost. There should be diferent names/processes/services for diferent functions.

6. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Re: ‘Svchost’ overload.. I dont know what else to do, can some one help?

Soo, it's kinda like 'one size fits all'?:cautious:
    Yeah! Know how well that works!:p

It WOULD be easier to configure what goes out thru your firewall if they had proper names, but the link is helpful, Tom_SK.:)

MY .02

7. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916089/en-us

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.