svchost ask to allow incoming connection on every reboot/

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by BeLGaRaTh67, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeLGaRaTh67

BeLGaRaTh67 Registered Member

As per title, I am having an issue where I keep getting a red pop up from ESS stating that

The app is svchost (Host Process for Windows Services) and it is always port 123 (ntp) from 207.46.197.32

I always block it, but I am wondering if I should let it connect or just permanently block it?

Any ideas?

http://cid-94c35735288394b3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/WTF.jpg

2. kennethtb

kennethtb Registered Member

Hi I get this problem also... never quite sure what to do (allow or block) as the warning is in red.. can someone answer please

3. CrunchieBite

CrunchieBite Guest

207.46.197.32 is registered to Microsoft Corp and port 123 is (as the pop-up states) the ntp port used for network time protocol. I would bet money on it just being your PC connecting to the Internet to synchronrize it's clock.

~ M

4. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello BeLGaRaTh67,

The info provided is not enough to tell if it is malicious or not. Checking the box in the Allow/Deny and selecting either option will set that as your permanent selection.

Thank you,
    Richard

5. BeLGaRaTh67

Thanks, for the info

With regard to CrunchieBite's post above, would you say it is safe? You havent really confirmed what to do, just basically say pick one and make it permanent. I was asking whether it was safe or not to allow it?

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I would go to the control panel and turn off Internet time under date and time. Restart and see if you get a popup. If not, you know your computer is trying to synchronize with the Microsoft time server.

7. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

That is correct, Windows is trying to synchronize its' clock with Microsoft. It is okay to allow.

8. BeLGaRaTh67

Well I tried what was suggested, turned off the auto update of time thing and rebooted. No request. Turned it back on, rebooted and it was back.

I have now allowed it permanently. Strange thing is it has only started happening lately and I have never enabled that update option :(

Thanks for the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.