Suspected device on my wireless network

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Marius1, Aug 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marius1

Marius1 Registered Member

Hello everybody. I have a concern. Using the program SoftPerfect WiFi Guard I have discovered a suspected device. Only me and my mother use this wireless connection. SoftPerfect WiFi Guard detects our computers and the router plus this suspected device. At first, I thought it could be the cordless but I am not sure a cordless has a MAC ADDRESS... Has it?

However, I have made a scan with Nmap and this is the feedback: 139/tcp open netbios-ssn Samba smbd (workgroup: WORKGROUP) ; 515/tcp open printer

Checking the internet you can see there are a lot of exploitations related to printer open ports and netbios open port (however, I don't have any printer. Now, I am using Ubuntu but when I was using Windows already I noticed that I had printer enabled and I could not switch off it).

I have just scanned my laptop with Nmap and it says that all doors are closed. However, concern remain about this unknown device and its open ports. Can be the cordless?

2. SpousalMilk

SpousalMilk Registered Member

The mac address is an important clue and you can use it to find out the device manufacturer.

http://www.coffer.com/mac_find/

Cordless phones don't use internet protocol packets.

3. Marius1

Marius1 Registered Member

Unluckily, it does not find any vendor... this makes me even more worried. Do you suggest me to filter this MAC ADDRESS from my router?

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Which router are you using? Could you check if it has built-in print server? It could be listening on those ports. If that is the case this is not dangerous if you don't have those ports open from internet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.