SurfRight releases HitmanPro Kickstart

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Jul 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

HitmanPro.Kickstart is the solution against police ransomware and other persistent malware that has taken your computer hostage or prevents normal computer use.

When your PC has been infected with ransomware you see a message, supposedly from the police, FBI or other authorities, demanding that a fine must be paid in order to unlock the computer. Payment is done via prepaid cards from Ukash, MoneyPak or Paysafecard.

The full release notes can be found here http://www.surfright.nl/en/kickstart

2. DX2

DX2 Guest

Re: SurfRight releases HitmanPro.Kickstart

nvm found it :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2013
  3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Thanks for the information, I will try it shortly.

4. DX2

DX2 Guest

This program saved me today on a clients computer. Had a ransom trojan, couldn't boot with a cd at all, changed boot settings and everything. When the computer booted, just had a white screen, nothing else, task manager didn't come up, nothing worked. Used this program on a usb, got rid of it. :D

5. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I added it to my Malware Removing Kit. Just waiting for someone to get infected with this type of Malware so I can use it.

6. itman

itman Registered Member

From what I read in the user manual, the software will not self-update after booting and loading from the usb drive. So best to manually update the software prior to booting an infected PC. If that is your PC, you will obviously have to do the update from another PC with Internet access.

Anyone know if this software will fix ransomware that encrypts your entire hard drive?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  7. itman

itman Registered Member

From the ghacks.net web site:

So if you get that ransomware variant that encrypts your HDD, it's restore from an backup image time.

8. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Actually I think the article is referring to if you use disk encryption yourself, not ransomware that encrypts the hard drive.

9. itman

itman Registered Member

I was thinking ransomware the like of this: http://www.zimbio.com/Latest+Computer+Threats/articles/BWqZO3cP4b2/New+Variant+Police+Ukash+Ransomware+Encrypts.

One good tip from the above link is:
    Kapersky a while back found one bad guy using 1024 bit encrption and was desperately looking for a key crack for it. Don't know if they ever found it.

10. itman

itman Registered Member

I went through the user manual again it detail.

This product is for the most part just a bootable version of HitmanPro. All HitmanPro use restrictions apply. If you never installed HMP on your PC, you can get a one-time 30 day license to remove/disinfect the quarrantined malware. Once you previously used HMP and if the 30 day license has expired, all this software will do is quarrantine the malware. Since ransonware modifies a bunch of stuff on your PC, just isolating the malware probably won't even allow you to do a clean boot. Your probably better off just using a boot CD with one of the specific ransonware cleaners from bleepingcomputer.com, etc.

Wish SurfRight would adopt the old Prevx pricing model; 7, 30 day, etc. paid license and cut out the baloney.

11. itman

itman Registered Member

Anyone know how to get this to work with a dual boot?

I selected option 1 which I was a bit unsure of and I did get my dual boot WIN 7 and XP bootloader screen. Selected WIN 7 from where I originally built from USB drive from. Instead on getting my log on screen immediately went into start up repair?:mad:

12. itman

itman Registered Member

Today I tried Option 2 from HMP startup screen. Same thing happened; Windows startup began running. Worse startup repair did sucessfull state it repaired the boot loader? Luckily it didn't trash my dual boot screen.

I have to assume at this point that this software does not work with a dual boot.

13. itman

itman Registered Member

Found this SurfRight reply in the main HitmanPro discussion thread:

This is indeed the case in my configuration; disk 0 contains XP and disk 1 contains WIN 7. The "hooks" for this software exist on the OS the USB was built from; WIN 7 in my case. That is the primary OS I use.

For starters, I am more than a bit upset this was not clearly stated; at least in their user manual.

Also this software is bogus in my opinion. It gives the impression that it is an independent free boot malware removal tool which it is not.:thumbd:

Stick with the AV vendors free boot CD/USB boot solutions that do provide an independent boot loader. Or build your own boot anti-malware recovery solution using the UltimateBoot CD software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.