Surferbar - Please help if possible

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by DawnJ, Sep 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DawnJ

DawnJ Registered Member

Please help if possible....
    I have now downloaded both Spybot and Spyware Blaster (after reading several other forums). I have run both programs plus add/remove programs and I can not get rid of the darn Surferbar that has attached itself to my Internet Explorer.... can anyone help me .... I am about to pull my hair out. THANK YOU!!!

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi DawnJ,

Download Ad-Aware at lavasoftusa.com
    After installing AAW, and before running the program, update by using the Globe icon.
    Shut down and restart Ad-Aware.
    Now press "Scan Now", "Select drives\folders to scan" and select the active partition (usually C: ), then 'next', and let Ad-Aware scan your drives.
    It will find a number of "bad" files and registry keys. Click 'Next' again.
    Rightclick in that pane and choose "select all" and click 'next'.
    It will ask you whether you'd like to remove all checked items. Click OK.
    Finally, close Ad-Aware, and reboot.

If that doesn't help (but it should):

Could you post your HijackThis log
    Download, Unzip and run HijackThis. Then click Scan > Save log, save the log as a .txt file and copy & paste its content into your next post.
    Don´t fix anything yet. Most of what it finds is harmless.

Regards,

Pieter

3. DawnJ

DawnJ Registered Member

Thank you Pieter!

You have given accurate information (there is a lot of inaccurate information floating around!)... I found out about HijackThis at pchell.com, and after trying their recommended manual removal (didn't work) I ran hijackthis and it located another file from surferbar which I deleted.

It appears that between the 2 solutions the darn thing is gone. If it comes back I will run hijackthis again and post the log ...

Thank you so much for your help! This has been a nasty little experience I hope I can avoid next time.

Thanks!!!
    Dawn

4. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi DawnJ,

When some new malware pops up, it is always difficult to find the right cure. ;)
    Check if all these lines are gone in HijackThis:
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.surferbar.com/
    O3 - Toolbar: SurferBar - {FF7FD490-34E7-4FA1-927A-F5799E6AAD7B} - c:\PROGRA~1\win32.dll
    O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [win32] c:\program files\winsrv32.exe

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.