Surface Test stops - operation interrupted by user

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by tumbo, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tumbo

tumbo Registered Member

This is driving me nuts, if anyone can help.
    And yes I've tried most everything, so here goes...

Rig: Paragon Hard Disk Manager 11 Pro, Windows XP Pro SP3 32 bit

I have a hard disk that has a few known bad blocks.
    Have run CHKDSK /F over the partition. Windows know about the bad blocks.

However if I try to run a Paragon backup of that partition, Paragon locks up around where the bad blocks are - and have to kill it in Task Manager.

The manual says Surface Test enables to test surface of existing partitions and blocks of free space for bad or unstable sectors. If found any it automatically marks them unusable in the file system metadata, thus minimizing the risk of data loss.

Well this doesn't happen. When I run Surface Test, it aborts around where the bad blocks are (already sorted out with CHKDSK /F) with an error "operation interrupted by user".

The log file says Result: Aborted by user

So either i have missed something or Paragon cannot handle bad blocks.
    So cannot image backup/restore partition was the primary reason for getting Paragon. Heellllppp!!! Please.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

did you try without surface test selected?

3. tumbo

tumbo Registered Member

Well no, but that's not the workaround :)

What if i image backup a disk partition containing with bad blocks, then restore it to another disk that has no bad blocks or vice versa?

Surface Test doesn't do what the manual says. It just gives up - epic fail.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

It is a workaround if the purpose is to create a backup of a hd with bad blocks. It still might not work

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Run chkdsk with the /r option. It does a scan the entire partition looking for badblocks, the /f is more of a filesystem integrity check. Then try Paragon.

6. tumbo

tumbo Registered Member

chkdsk /r didn't help. Paragon still bombs. I'm a computer guy. It shouldn't be this hard. Paragon does other non-intuitive things that i won't crap on about.
    Buying Paragon was a mistake.

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Go to the drive manufacturer's website and download the diagnostic program for the drive and run it. No idea about the Paragon surface check but chkdsk is considered less likely to pick up all problems than the manufacturer's diagnostic.

If none of this works you could try and make a raw image that does all sectors on the drive without regard to the filesystem.

FWIW:
    The question about what happens if you restore to another drive that doesn't have bad blocks and certainly won't have the same badblocks is a good one. I don't know about Paragon but if you slightly resize the partition on restore with a competitor's product it does not use the badblock info contained in the image. Paragon needs to answer this question most likely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.