Surface Pro Coming in February...in Canada and U.S Only

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Mman79, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...ce-pro-coming-february-to-us-and-canada-only/

"Microsoft's Intel-powered tablet finally has a release date, at least for some. Surface Windows 8 Pro (as the company calls it) or Surface Pro (as everyone else refers to it) will go on sale in the US and Canada on February 9th. Unlike its ARM counterpart, the Pro device will be sold in Staples and Best Buy stores from day one.

As previously announced, prices will start at $899 for the 64GB unit. Buyers in other markets will have to wait, and the company has not provided a timeline for a broader international roll-out."

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Heh. By the time it comes out for other countries the 2nd generation Surface will probably be coming out. Which will be better (new Intel chips), teething issues should be gone, and hopefully cheaper.

3. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

And hopefully those countries will still be interested. I personally think they should have eased up slightly on the price. There's a good bit of established competition out there already. I also worry about performance such as battery life, which, if rumors are true, sucks. RT didn't do so hot, we'll see how Pro handles itself in a world already full of iPads and others. The thing looks slick, I'll give it that. But I've already made my leap into the tablet world and 899 bucks just doesn't make me chomp at the bit to buy something even that pretty, lol.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Indeed. I'm not particularly interested in RT, but a hybrid laptop/tablet like the pro really interests me. I'm not usually one to jump into new products though as they nearly always have some kind of teething issues that they learn from in the "2nd generation" product. I'll be waiting until next Christmas, my '08 laptop is still chugging along. :)

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Yeah, I can guarantee there will be some messes to get through at first. I would have liked to see a price of about 700-750 maxed for the 64Gb and no more than 850 for the 128. Sure, that might sound low to the financial guys at MS but, again, they aren't the only game in town and they're coming in a bit late.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.