Suppose you could only use one security application?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by besafe, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Hello, Mrk,

If you close all ports, why do you need a firewall?

-rich

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I mentioned above that I am not allowed to tweak.
    Because you can also use security policies etc - and then you truly need nothing. I was talking about the default Windows - and deliberately limiting the choice so it would be truly 'one' application.
    Mrk

3. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

4. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

OK, I understand.

But given Win2K, for example, which does not come with a firewall, you could tweak and then you wouldn't need to add anything else.

Tweaking should be permitted, and count as an "application" :)

regards,

-rich

5. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

another vote for SSM.. am using SSM free though, which is good enough I guess.. i wish i could afford SSM paid :(

6. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Spyware Terminator.

7. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Greetings glentium and don't frown in disappointment just yet. You could join the SSM forums at http://www.syssafety.com/ and proceed to report concerns but especially issues you might discover. I was on the early Beta Team and contributed reports via email and forum issues i deemed imporatant for them to review to increase security and was rewarded with a full license for those efforts. Those folks at SSM are quite appreciative to user input to bringing attention to valid concerns needing addressed (bug reports especially etc.) and when you show enough interest in helping them strengthen and correct SSM, i'm sure they have no problems with rewarding those efforts in the same manner. They are a class group who live, sleep, and eat their showcased product and stop at nothing to see everything is hitting on all cylinders at all times.

8. namdog

namdog Registered Member

Gimme your brain, Otherwise I will choose Powershadow or FDISR (roll a dice to choose one). ;)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  9. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I would use DefenseWall or CoreForce depending on the skills of the user (low=DW, high = CF)

Regads K

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

The problem is that the majority of users, don't have a brain for Windows, Internet and Security and they aren't even interested to learn all that boring stuff. They just want to work or play with their computer.
    That's the real user and you won't find them at Wilders, maybe in the Malware Forums, begging and waving with their HijackThis Logs for help, if they ever heard of such forums.
    The company, I'm working for, is full of these users. They are good in their job, they use computers, but don't expect from these users any more effort, than just learning how to work with the applications, they daily need to do their job. Most of them, don't even have a computer at home.

I'm trying to find solutions for these users like rollback, quiet security softwares, ... whatever it takes not to annoy these users during their job. It's also easier for our computer department, when these users have a problem, we only have to say "Reboot and it will be fixed".

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  11. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

Acually, I'd have to go with, Spyware Blaster,since I can use common sense and not download suspicious files.

12. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

You would be surprised at how many people *do* have a brain for Windows - - they just haven't been shown how to apply it in computing.

You would also be surprised at how many *are* interested -- once they realize what they don't know, and how it's not that difficult to learn good security habits.

People like you and others here at Wilders are in a great position to teach the uninformed. It requires time and patience and willingness for both parties, of course, but it is doable.

We make security too complicated. Mr. and Mrs. Smith next door can get along happily with

1) the Windows firewall

2) an AV that they are taught how to use, and how to keep updated.

The rest of security is the "brain" -- that is, developing a security strategy, and teaching security procedures such as

1) web surfing

2) email

3) safe downloading of files

4) backup procedure

So, while it's possible to get along with just one application, as many have suggested, I would recommend two, maybe three, for the beginner as noted above (with some variations depending on the situation).

I've had success with many people this way -- home users, for sure. Beginners are the best to work with: they have no bad habits to unlearn :)

regards,

-rich

13. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

I will choose KIS 6 if I can only pick one program in Windows. It has a signature based AV engine (with heuristics coming), a decent firewall and PDM. Some folks mentioned that PDM did not allow/block program launches. However, PDM also provided a reasonable registry guard. I think that even if a malware tries to run, it will normally try to hook into the system somewhere. If it cannot do so by injecting into other process, install a driver, modify some registry entries then its harm will be much more limited than if it can. But then, the user has to make the right choice when being prompted by PDM, just as when a HIPS program asks him/her.

14. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Online Armor AV+ & Firewall.

dja2k

15. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

id go with Online Armor AV+ as well.

if my first choice is not allowed, then id go with NOD32.

16. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

router, it is not an app, so should not count against the tally, and either Prevx as it can control outbound connections, and wide ranging in coverage. or if for some reason the router would be disallowed OA w/FW (not a suite without AV).

Mike

17. herbalist

herbalist Guest

When this question was asked in a poll, I initially had a hard time choosing between SSM free and my firewall, Kerio 2.1.5. Now I have to say SSM as Kerio is no longer handling the incoming firewall duties, only the outbound traffic. Smoothwall handles the incoming duties now.
    NEW TOYS!! :D :D
    Since Smoothwall is a separate piece of hardware, not a security application installed in windows, SSM is definitely my primary defense as far as software is concerned.
    Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.