Suppose you could only use one security application?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by besafe, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. besafe

besafe Registered Member

You can't use a suite either. You can only choose one program. Would you go with a great AV? a solid antispyware? An air tight firewall? a HIPS? A virtualization tool?

What one program would you leave the security of your PC to if you could only choose one?

2. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

A frozen snapshot of FDISR, which gives me a clean and good working snapshot after each reboot combined with safe surfing/downloadings.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

something like prevx1 or shadowuser
    lodore

5. ErikAlbert

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Tough question, however, easy answer. Just because you have no other options, pick one, yes only one, no more. I would go for sandbox/virtualization app. The one that can freeze the whole drive. You send the whole box into frozen state and carry out your routines. Since you can not stop things coming in, you might as well kick them out when you have done your business. Reboot and boot them out. I just wish I do not have to face this kind of situation. Oh, the other option is, if the first one is not to your liking, FD-ISR. Do your things in frozen snapsoot, then roolback. Our good friend, Erik, is the expert on this. Just ask him, you will get a earful.:) Mind you , these are not so-called security app. But on their extended duty, they can do as well as all others. Trust me. :rolleyes:

7. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Yeah, you're right Erik it's a old thread, I should not have mention that.:oops:

8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Is FD-ISR a security program? I thought you suggested that it makes it's claim as a RESTORE program and if that's true then your answer is not been offered or suggested at yet........

The author asks what "one" security application", and so
    my choice would have to be and still is and will likely always remain System Safety Monitor!

Simply because it can cover most all the ground you ever need (including network), provided you surf relatively cautious and alert and know what your system files interact with and why.

Otherwise, i would suggest a good solid AV w/HIPS like KIS6. Or better yet maybe a Prevx1 with community protection service and yes this already been asked & discussed before. :isay:

9. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

If I could only use one single security app, I guess it would be System Safety Monitor. I don't consider Powershadow a security app.

If I did, Powershadow would be my first choice.

10. colorado13

colorado13 Registered Member

Prevx or SSM

11. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I have to agree Chuck57 even though Power Shadow by virtue of it's ability to quickly "remove" threats safely and fully with a single reboot, i can see where one might be inclined to consider that as security in and of itself enough, in which case that it is.
    For sake of this Topic though i assume the author also defines "security applications" with the same divisions they been catagorized by such as virtual/sandbox/at/as, so on and so forth.

I tend i guess to lean a little more favorably in answer to a question like this Topic presents us, to an app like SSM that's able to capture/block BEFORE THE FACT rather then dump session AFTER-THE-FACT even though there may be little difference except choice. If you happen to pick up some "new", with the accent being on new, strange visitor (m'ware), that proceeds unchecked to make changes to your settings or alters behavior of your system unfavorably in some way thats either risky or potentially damaging, who's to say with any degree of real certainty if that restore proggy will completely remain immune from being overwhelmed enough to not bring your system back as before. I tested it quite severely i think and not seen or read of it yet where it put a user's machine in jeopardy of not restoring itself as before. But theres always the first time i suppose, it's just that i yet to read about that first time except for program conflicts or some other incompatibility which i seen only in a small minority of users.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

FDISR

13. ErikAlbert

You are right, FDISR is NOT a security program in any way.
    I find recovery programs alot more important than security softwares, because I can depend on them. I just don't trust security softwares.
    But it doesn't belong in this thread. :oops:

In that case I consider Anti-Executable as my favorite security software in a frozen snapshot, because it doesn't require any updatings of definition files and it's based on a whitelist. I can't use its maximum security completely, because of conflicts with FDISR, but that's not a big problem.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  14. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Actually, I find the 'line' between such programs to be blurry. Although I do use an AV and FW, programs like FDISR, Rollback Rx, etc., give me a much more secure feeling than so called 'security apps' ...and if if makes one feel secure, isn't it also a security app? :p

15. ErikAlbert

Well the line isn't blurry to me, but I FULLY AGREE with the rest of your post. :cool:

16. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

When it's any program to cover Windows butt from failure at holding your programs/settings solidly in place from unfavorable disturbances/changes. you betcha' that's all about security! with a capital S, so in that light i agree wholeheartily.
    Like many others including yourself, i take far more stock in recovery as security then scanner programs, even HIPS! because it's the very final line of confidence you can turn to which remains most dependable against some destruction (deliberate or not) to all your efforts and the time you put into them.

17. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

My brain. The best security program I have.

I'm not trying to be facetious here, but in light of all of the hoopla of the recent MS exploit, I reviewed my computing years and realized that except for testing malware sites, I've *never* gotten a security alert.

In a discussion of this last year, someone pointed out that using Opera has protected me. Fair enough. So, I regularly surfed for a while with IE on low settings and still didn't get any security alert.

What's going on here, I thought? The topic has come up again. See this thread:

What am I doing wrong ?

and note Mrk's response.

If I stopped testing Malware sites, I wouldn't need any security program, including a firewall.

regards,

-rich

18. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Excluding Powershadow and ghost images I would say, IMHO:

Free - Sandboxie

Paid - Defensewall

This is going on the size of the app, resource usage, ease of use and the protection they provide.

19. mitchelson

mitchelson Registered Member

1ST choice: ProSecurity (with the firewall of Winxp Sp2) ^_^
    Second: Tiny firewall
    :thumb: :thumb:
    U R very wise! The most powerful programme is our brain , NO security software is good enough to defend PC from all threats.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  20. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Old thread or no, it's nice to refresh the brain cells once in a while.
    First, you need to define what the security applications really are.

Example: Imaging software - NOT a security app. Linux - NOT a security app. All great answers, but they fall short of the security applications definition.

Security apps should probably be programs specifically designed to tackle hostile activity against the PC, be they intrusion, execution etc.

I see it this way: the earlier you stop it the better. Therefore, the best security app to have is the firewall. It's the first contact point with the Internet. A good firewall is all one needs.

Now, one could cheat and say that some OSs come with firewall built-in, one could say I have a router etc... they are not exactly security apps either, but they do provide with the same functionality.

Therefore, given a complete lack of everything - this includes router, ICS/NAT, security policies, built-in features, no tweaking at all - the answer remains a firewall.

But there's a rub. What about the browser? It is not a security app. Although it will determine 99.99% of the noise one does or does not receive when prowling the net. Substituting a variety of MS programs with superiour alternatives is a huge security boost - although none of the apps are really security.

So, is one allowed to put side the inferior IE, Outlook etc. and go with high-quality others - do they count as security too?

Because then comes the hardest question of all?

If I could choose between running a naked Windows with non-MS apps or a Windows with firewall and MS apps, what would I choose?

The answer is: I would stop using such a computer for Internet purposes.

Mrk

21. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

My brain tells me it's extremely dangerous visiting those Russian crack sites but I still go there to try and get infected.

In effect, those sites crack me up watching their wares trying to do the deed inside the sandbox.

If they break out the sandbox, bypass Powershadow mode and kill my ghost images then I will get out another cloned HD and set it as master.Not one has got past my first line being Sandboxie as yet.

Too easy, huh.:blink:

22. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

Hey Mrkvonic

Firewalls can be unhooked/deactivated by malicious code on the computer side of business.

Personally all i need is anti-exec software as i have yet to find a script that can turn it off;)

23. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

In terms of replying to the original question.

KIS 6.0...without a doubt!:D

24. Engelhardt

Engelhardt Registered Member

Acronis TrueImage!

25. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Why would you have malicious code run?
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.