Support: Please change this default...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by KennethS, Nov 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KennethS

KennethS Registered Member

Howdy,

I have a concern about a default setting in V9:

When someone is Restoring Specified Files or Folders, they typically want to restore very few. If they wanted to restore most of the files in an image, they would restore the whole thing.

As a result, it is (currently) very easy to make a serious mistake.

As you know, the default setting for Restore Specified Files or Folders is to restore ALL.

One could easily navigate to the particular file they wished to restore, click to restore it, and only then discover that they had restored everything in error.

In my view, that default should be changed.

Sincere thanks,

Kenneth

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello KennethS,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We really appreciate your collaboration on this matter. However, I have just reprduced this situation myself and it does not appear to me that it is so easy to make such a mistake.

If it seems to you that the situation is a bit different then please make a screen shots of all your steps illustrating the issue. Create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected screen shots to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Please also note that if you want us to change the behaviour of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product, please feel free to post any of your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. KennethS

Hi Alexey,

I thank you for your suggestions, and have sent all the details to Support, but I also thought to post a much simpler version here.

When I try to restore one file using "Restore Specified Files & Folders" my screen looks like SS-1 (attached.) Why does "Specified Files & Folders" default to having everything in the archive checked? That would certainly seem to indicate that the entire archive is about to be restored.

Thanks for any clarification,

Kenneth

P.S. Is there a way to post here with more than one attached file??

Attached Files:

4. Doug_B

Doug_B Registered Member

Kenneth,

I feel the same as you on this issue. I have been using a trial version of TI9 and was doing a restore test with the intent of restoring one directory and accidentally forgot to uncheck all the other drives before invoking the restore. Fortunately, I had the restore going to a new path on the disk.

Also noticed that there was quite a delay between the time I canceled the restore (once recognizing my goof) and when TI stopped restoring files; IIRC, the entire first logical drive was restored before it stopped.

Although the user is ultimately responsible for what is selected for restore, I agree that the default should be unchecked for all objects.

Doug

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I agree. The diaglogue in the Contents Selection window says "Select files and folders to be restored", therefore logic dictates that the tickboxes should be unchecked by default.

Because all files and folders are already preselected, for correctness, the dialogue would need to read "Deselect files and folders not to be restored". Clearly, a daft state of affairs!!

Regards

6. KennethS

Hi again,

I thank you both for your comments...

I did not experiment with it but it is important to know that if I had left those default checkmarks in place I would have restored everything.

The default clearly should be "nothing checked" in my view.

I am perplexed though by Alexey's comment ('sorry, but I don't know that it is in this thread.) He said that he thought it would be very hard to make a mistake.

It seems to me that neglecting a single click is a very easy path to what, in certain circumstances, could be a very serious error.

All the best,

Kenneth

7. SCClockDr

SCClockDr Registered Member

I agree!!!

The fix for forgetting to check any of the boxes would be, NO change to the target drive. A mistake easily repaired.

The alternative is to fail to uncheck that box and destroy all the newer data with the backup. Very difficult or impossible to repair.

This is a disaster recovery tool. Therefore, I believe, the assumption should be, under the stress inherrant in this type environment, the operator will most likely forget something and therefor the software should protect against creating a greater disaster.

The total best approach would be, to make switches such as these, configureable, with the defaults set to the safe choice.

Regards
    George

8. KennethS

Hi again,

I did find Alexey's comment and have marked that part that I find confusing. It seems to me that neglecting one click is pretty easy (especially when I am hyperventilating because I just discovered that an important file has been corrupted). It does make me wonder what the response from Support will be on this.

Thanks,
    Kenneth

9. plover

plover Guest

I noticed this behavior a few days ago and also wondered why everything was checked.

This might be a case of the tech heads determining how the software will be used instead of the general public.

My vote, FWIW, is to uncheck everything. The potential consequence warrants this IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.