Support for Hardware Accelerated TCP/IP

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Holsum, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holsum

Holsum Registered Member

Hi,

A lot of new motherboards are coming with hardware TCP/IP acceleration. Unfortunately a lot of host-based firewalls do not support the hardware. Either one or the other has to be turned off or some of the traffic bypasses the firewall. It must depend on where the host firewall venders place their hooks into the kernel.

It would be great if ESET was the first AV company to fully support hardware TCP/IP acceleration. The motherboard I just bought is the NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI. Many previous generation NVIDIA motherboards also support TCP/IP acceleration. I think a lot of gamers/server admins would buy an AV/Firewall product if they knew it supported hardware acceleration.

More details about the hardware acceleration is located at:
    http://www.alienwaresystems.com.au/dnn2/Portals/0/nForce 4 ActiveArmor.pdf

-Jeff

2. MovchanAV

MovchanAV Registered Member

What do you mean under term "hardware accelerated tcp/ip"? If this means pure tcp/ip stack acceleration, like "Checksum offloading" and other similar things, that it does not require special support from ESET and provided by NIC manufacturer and drivers for that NIC. If you meant "motherboard integrated firewall" a thing which described in document that you refer in you post, so, IMHO, it would be too difficult to suppot all variants of propiertary solutions.
    From some point of view ESET and motherboard integrated firewall manufacturers are competitors. :)

3. stadi

stadi Registered Member

He maybe thinks abou FirstPacket for the Nvidia motherboards. In previous Nvidia drivers you couldn't activita it if you had a software firewall active. Now it looks like I could activate it but didn't try it yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.