Supplement for A/V

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by richo, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richo

richo Registered Member

I would be interested in opinions for a HIPS or Sandbox that would supplement my A/V (Avast) on Win XP. I am looking for something to protect against zero day attacks, and looking for something very 'light", and preferably freeware. My surfing is generally low risk. Having read the forum here it seems that there are quite a few choices, some of which I have tried. I'm interested in other people's opinions.

2. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

I'm using CyberHawk and Sandboxie. Since installing them, any AV or AS scan from any other program are not reporting anything at all.

3. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Freeware, there's GeSWall (free version), Sandboxie, Cyberhawk, Bufferzone (free version), and Spyware Terminator.

If you download often, Prevx1 (my fav.) and Cyberhawk. Spyware Terminator has fans here, but i don't use it's active protection anymore.

If you don't, or even if you do, GeSWall and Sandboxie. Sandboxie virtualises your browser, IM client, etc, so you can drop everything from a session. GeSWall lets you use the apps normally (write to disk), but they (files) are flagged untrusted and can't harm you. It's policy based "sandbox" (they themselves don't say it's a sandbox, but what tha hell). Same goes for Defense Wall, but no free version here i think.

Some of these are quite different, but i'm just giving references. There are other threads that cover this in depth if you want to read more.

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Some options,

System safety monitor
    Processguard
    ProSecurity
    Ghostsecurity suite
    Antihoook
    Dynamic security agent
    Cyberhawk

They all have free versions available for home use. Best thing to do is try them out and see what you like.

5. richo

richo Registered Member

Thanks for the tips... see how i go

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.