superantispyware will not uninstall

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Long View, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I like superantispyware. Normally I just run it on demand every month or six weeks just as a check. It never finds anything but it is comforting to get a clean result. On most of my machines I run DeepFreeze or Returnil so I am able to install Superantispyware, run it and then reboot and its gone. For some reason I actually installed it on one machine. Having just spent abot an hour trying to clean the registry I won't be installing Superantispyware on any other machines.
    Why do some programs behave so badly making it impossible to remove them with a simple uninstall program ? Fortunately I have Acronis and can go back to before the installation - otherwise I would be stuck with junk registry enteries for ever.

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I am having an issue with Acronis 10 on a clients pc, and it refuses to backup saying "media might be bad...". I suppose to should boycott Acronis from now on even though it works fine on millions of other pc's. ;)

Reinstall SAS over itself and then uninstall it.

3. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

SUPERAntiSpyware provides uninstallation as any Windows product does via the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs. If it is not listed there, it's likley that something else removed it. If you spent an "hour cleaning the registry" something else is wrong with your system as we only create a few keys and none of them are burried or protected, and the uninstaller removes them if you allow it to.

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

SAS does not come with a built-in uninstaller, therefore you need to rely on Windows add/remove function or a third party uninstaller.

My past experiences told me the safest way to delete any given security app is to perform the task in SAFE MODE. Due to the fear of any complications may be caused by SAS's drivers.

In SAS's case, although Nick has made clear that SAS only installs few registry keys etc, you may find more left-over than what you have bargained for, mainly due to the complexity of your system registry networking which has been complicated by other security apps, namely inter-hooking among SAS and all others.

Therefore, a simple Add/Remove task or by any third party uninstaller will not do the clean job.

To make the task to your complete satisfaction, you need to, IMO, follow up with an reliable registry cleaner, then a registry editor to do search on SAS, finally you are able to delete those nasty left-over one by one manually. Mind you, this is not SAS's fault, just the way how Windows works.

Take care.

5. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Two problems

Safe Mode does not work with Windows Installers,as compared to other makes of installers,such as InstallShield and WISE

Rather than dig around the Registry looking for keys to delete and doing real damage-just leave them there-they do absolutely no harm and certainly arent nasties-Just like removing a few grains of sand in a bucketful!

A general cleanup with say, CC Cleaner is sufficient.

If a reinstall and uninstall is carried out,all will be deleted anyway.

6. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I apologize - you must be correct. The add/remove was there, it's just that it did not fully remove SAS. The folder was still full of files. SAS was still listed in programs .Having gone back to a clean system I have now re-installed SAS and used add/remove to remove the program and this time the uninstall was clean. So I have to agree "something else was wrong with my system".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.