SuperAntiSpyware scanning questions

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Firebytes, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

(I will most likely install XP SP3 via Windows Update sometime in the future after it has been out for a while. For now though I downloaded it, just to store it in case I should ever need a copy. I downloaded it from the link provided here.)

I scanned the 300+ MB file with my anti-virus, and two anti-spyware apps by right clicking it. One of those anti-spys was SuperAntiSpyware. My question is why did both my AV and the other anti-spy take over five minutes to scan a reported 2500+ files in the self-extracting cab while SAS returned a result of only one file scanned almost as soon as I initiated it's scan? I know different apps can give different totals of files scanned depending on how they count them but SAS only reported one file and scanned it almost instantaneously. It makes me wonder, can SAS not "see" inside the self-extracting cab file to scan it's contents when I right click it?

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I'm not sure about that, but remember if you have any doubts you can always get 30 or so opinions by uploading and scanning with Virus Total

3. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi Firebytes, You may need to tweak SAS's scanning options. Go to Prefrences then Scanning Control and untick some of the boxes. Try unticking the first, second and forth boxes.

As far as VirusTotal or Jotti goes, the file is too big (over 10MB) for them to scan.

4. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Such a huge file wont be scanned with VirusTotal...remember the limit is 10 MB.

EDIT: innerpeace you beat me to it! :D

5. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Yeah I'd say it's over 10mb, scratch that idea. Sorry.:oops:

6. Firebytes

Changing those settings made no difference SAS still states only one file scanned and completes almost as soon as I initiate the right-click scan. I would hope (but may be wrong) that those settings are only for the system wide scans anyway and that a right-click initiated scan would scan whatever file I was clicking on, no matter it's size or file type.

7. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I also hope that the settings were for system wide scans but it was worth a shot. The only other idea I have is to try a Custom Scan and see if it helps.

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Just a shot in the dark here- but I would make sure that "ignore files larger than 4 MB" is not checked.

9. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

If the CAB didn't have characteristics of infection cabs we have seen, it wouldn't be scanned - that's likley why it was not scanned.

10. Firebytes

Ahh, but it was scanned...at least according to the program. It advised me, "Scanning is complete. No harmful software was detected." I would hope that when a user right-click scans a file that SAS would scan within whatever file is selected regardless of file type or size. If it isn't going to scan within the file selected then maybe it should advise as such, instead of stating that it did and that it found no threats. ;)

Anyway, it's one small gripe against what is IMHO an otherwise great program. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.