SUPERAntiSpyware review at PCMag

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by lucas1985, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Why? Is Nick in the firewall business now ? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  2. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

Google blogger got hacked,not SAS's servers but you have just very well highlighted how this can be interpreted by folks who lack in knowledge in this area:cautious:

3. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

The blog is controlled by Google, NOT SUPERAntiSpyware.com. We are moving the blog to our own site, as obviously Google does not have tight reigns on the Blogger site.

4. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Well I might not be very knowledgable in the area, but I *did* read the comments above so I'm interpreting it correctly.

But what you are saying about people lacking in knowledge (which was incidently my point) is correct in that it *looks* really bad.

Also It redirects to some site that tries to hawk some rogue scanner malware, and given that Superantispyware is about malware scanners..... Surely you can see why this might be a problem....

But i guess the only people who go to such blogs are security savy anyway so won't be fooled.

5. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Yes, I know. I'm not blind, i read your comments earlier. I'm saying how it looks.

I got this free scan telling me I have malware on my system, you think i should download the scanner they are offering? I mean it's the well trusted SUPERAntiSpyware's blog after all.... :) :)

6. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

We are in the process of trying to get Google to take down the blog so it won't cause problems - they have yet to respond to us.

7. fcukdat

Thats just not good enough,its all your fault and so is the fact its raining outside:thumbd:

[/troll off:cautious: ]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  8. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Stop being such a fanboy. Stating an obvious fact is hardly trolling.

This will be my last post on the subject.

9. nmadani

nmadani Registered Member

Nick:

I only recently became your customer and I have followed this thread with great interest. Forgive me if my questions have already been answered elsewhere:

1. How many new malware/spyware/... were first discovered and reported by SUPERAntSpyWare?
    2. How many of these discoveries were immediately shared with other AS/AV vendors (i.e. your competitors)?

I think the expectation that users would submit harvested malware presumes that users realize the inadequacies of anti-malware solutions and use several of them on any given system.

Would it not make better sense that you the AS/AV vendors cooperate and share any discoveries? Why would we need to submit to every vendor? Should we not just submit suspicious files only to you for example, and if you would determine that they pose a threat, would pass them on to other vendors or pass them on irrespective of your assessment for possible second opinions?

Do AS/AV cooperate on a regular basis or do they just compete against each other?

Thanks for your reply.

_NM

10. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

What this is meaning pliz to help me understand ing?? :blink:

Right; with respect; so we shouldn't trust Castlecops because of ddos or Sysinternals after being almost destroyed by spam.

C'mon LUSHER aren't you being a bit oblique here? :doubt:

AFAICS Nick has made it quite clear it has been a Google problem.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  11. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

I think he was playing dumb, so to speak, as in demonstrating how the issue could be misconstrued by noobs to look bad for SAS, when it isn't really there (SAS's) fault, though perhaps they should do more to resolve it. I'm not necessarily agreeing with him in full (as I'm not sure there is much more SAS could do at this point), but he is simply making an observation and demonstrating a point through role-playing (play-acting) that was in turn misinterpreted. Just giving my interpretation of his comments in case they might clarify it for you.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  12. fcukdat

Hi nmadani and welcome to Wilders and can i say a blinder of a *first* post.

I'm sure Nick will respond in time but i feel compelled to add my take on things that you have posted as both first a Malware Hunter for SAS and subsequently part of MIRT which is volunteer grouping of indviduals/professionals dedicated to waging war on the malware on the web today:thumb:

1st off i don't believe that Vendors share too much *data* or at least not in realtime at the point of discovery,some might let stuff out in newletters/bloggs/articles etc at a later date but this is more for their self/software promotion aspect IMO

In truth think of AV/ASW/AT vendors were pharmacutical companies and found a cure for any given decease,would they rush out to give their discovery to competing companies or would they keep it inhouse to make the competitive difference between them and their rivals.Lets face it at the end of the day it all boils down to $$$'s

But that said there is still groups/individuals both hobbyist/professionals out on the WWW that put in time on the front line of malware collection/research that are willing to share their discoveries/data with everyone for the greater good.These folks do this as a voluntary act and are not motivated by $'s but helping as many folks as possible by making sure new data is available to anyone/vendor/research who wants it.MIRT being a prime example of this:thumb:

As mentioned earliar i'm a malware hunter which equates to me repeatedly going out onto the WWW and hosing my *victim* machine out with all flavours of infections inorder to elevate the chance of catching new stuff as it emerges.
    I utilize SAS free as my botkiller to help recover the infected system and also am in a position to submit stuff to Nick @SAS should i find new stuff that his product does not detect/or effectively remove at the time of infection.
    As long as SAS provides a *free* fully functioning detection and cleaning engine based on *state of the art* technology them i am happy to perform this service for the benefit of SAS free user's:)

Secondly,whilst wading through mb's of malwares on my travels testing SAS i was tapped up(Many thanks Bruce:D ) by the team lead at MIRT to go join their malware butt kicking party:cool:
    The understanding of MIRT was that any data/malwares shared would be put out on the wire in realtime to any Vendors/researchers that took advanatage of this free malware resource.
    Naturally there is a huge mailing list which includes virtually every household AV/ASW/AT name and quite a few of the lesser knowns to boot:thumb:

Anyhow i hope this might illustrate what is probaly around the norm with reguards malware hunters/researchers in the fact that most will have favoured software(s) which they will fastrack data too but also in some cases will bring the malwares to some form of pooling resource where that data is made available to a much wider audience.

HTH:)

13. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Still no Vista UAC :cautious: Still not registering as Installed on Vista :cautious: ~Snip~ Comment removed

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2007
  14. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Was it necessaryo_O

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2007
  15. crash79`

crash79` Registered Member

I would consider it objectionable.
    One of the Mods may consider deletion!

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Please report any posts needing attention by using the "Report bad post" feature.

Attached Files:

17. crash79`

crash79` Registered Member

Thank you. The error is regretted.

18. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

No I suppose it wasnt nessecary? or was it? I'm not too sure, seems the only way to get things fixed these days is to voice an opinion regardless of the content :isay: Too many people sit back, and wait!,:rolleyes: anf wait :rolleyes: and wait :rolleyes: Till it seems its a case of you get sick of waiting for false promises. Just my opinion, Or is It o_O I wonder how many more feel the same way, but are too shy to say so o_O I'm Not :cautious:

19. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

I certainly don't appreciate your rude comments. We work very hard and have a list of items to add/fix/enhance in the product - thet are in priority order, and detecting and removing the nastier spyware takes lots of effort to keep up with zero-day threats. I have never promised anything with our product that I didn't deliver - I also won't tag dates to things as schedules and proirities can change. The item is on our list and will be added in the future.

20. fce

fce Registered Member

pop corn pls. :D

21. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

:D :D :D

Nick,take all the time you need.I would rather wait for as long as it takes for a great piece of software then to have you and your team rush it out with bugs.Some of us are more patient then others.Keep up the good work and always looking forward to new releases but not before thier time. Thank you Nick.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.