SuperAntiSpyware - opinions and or test results

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ChrisP, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I have removed AVG AS from my system due to their recent questionable activities as I dont want anything to do with businesses that operate in such dodgy ways - and have installed SAS - will this detect polymorphic trojans, compressed / modified trojans - will it detect rootkits. I would like to see some test results etc.

Cheers,

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I can't tell you specifically what it removes but it's a great anty-spyware app.:D

3. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Some test results here:-

http://www.malware-test.com/

Click the anti-spyware tab.

I don't run SAS, so I can't give an informed opinion; however realtime protection and cleaning ability on infected machines may not be the same.

5. Relemar

Relemar Registered Member

SAS is top-notch malware removal, best free on demand 100% all the way.

6. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

SAS is a great product with great support, you'll love it!:)

7. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

What a load of dung.One states I don't know,one states go to their forum,like you are going to get an honest answer there and three fan boy's with nothing to say worth spit. This place is becomming a big joke!You people should read this thread to learn how to post something meaningfull,https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=179126

8. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

What I said is worth a spit, I have tested and tried out so many antispyware programs it's not even funny, including ewido then avg antispyware. Fact is what you are saying is crap and doesn't help out the poster, not saying that my post helped either but trying out the program himself would of been the best bet, and for me saying it's great would of pushed him to try it out more I think. I'm far from a fanboy, I like many products, I just find SAS far best in my experience and with the clean up of malware, ~Snip - off topic comment removed. - Ron~

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2007
  9. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Jeezzz........Someone wokeup on the wrong side of the doghouse.

To try and answer the original posters question, there does not seem to be a complete list of what SAS detects/removes.posted from their website
    Only was able to find what has been added as far as updates for the past year.
    http://www.superantispyware.com/definitionupdatehistory.html?iDays=365

It's not eazy to find test results on anti-spyware apps that are legitimate and complete.If any one knows of any that exist Please let us know.

Perhaps Nick w/ SAS will drop in and enlighten us on exactly what SAS detects or a link that will help.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  10. Lasse88

Lasse88 Registered Member

questionable activities..? like what..? do you have a link or something.?

11. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

disinter,did you read the link I gave?What rig did you test all this so called crap on as in specs?What education do you have to test anything?Just what is your home user experience?Provide details or please shut your door!

12. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

The OP asked for opinions, everyone is free to offer those even if you don't agree with them.

It detects some rootkits (if it has a signature for them), AFAIK it detects polymorphic trojans. As said above you could post in SAS forums and Nick himself will usually respond with more accurate info.

Londonbeat

13. fce

fce Registered Member

another pop corn pls. :D

14. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

I am not claiming that I am a power program user, it's just during a course of more than a year I would test software and while alot where good, alot didn't detect trojans and spyware I would get, so I am going off of that. The link tells me to explain why I like the program and so on, and not being so much of a fanboy, but I like SAS on my computer and I said he'll like it so he could try it himself. He has a choice to try it or not, he might just hate it and that would be fine, and if he does like it he could visit the SAS site and figure out that it detects not just spyware, but awhole lot more. Understand you will get fanboy responses and technical good ones too, I am no expert so I can't answer like alot of the computer wizards here.

15. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Opinion on SAS?

I scan with SAS weekly and I like the program and the support by the developer.
    The program updates on a regular basis and upgrades have been frequent also.

16. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Opinions from many different posters is not a bad thing. I don't think it takes someone with a PhD in Computer Science to comment on whether malware was detected and removed by an anti-spyware product. Then again it is always nice to have input from those experienced in that specific field. But to rely on one opinion is really no different than relying on a single anti-malware product. It's not a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket.

Nick posted a response to the techsupportalert.com review on the SAS forum-

http://forums.superantispyware.com/viewtopic.php?t=779

One thing about SAS is that it claims not to detect simulated malware- such as Spycar. This makes it difficult to test the program unless real malware is used or found/removed. That is where opinions of end users can come in handy as many have relied on this product for a long time. Also it is good to hear end user feedback in regard to how the product performs over an extended period of time- after numerous reboots, scans, updates, upgrades, etc. This can sometimes be difficult to determine when taking a product "snapshot" during a single, time constrained test where results need to be posted in a timely manner.

It never hurts to hear feedback about customer service either. And it is safe to say SAS is top notch in that regard.

17. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

And a resource Hog too boot + the fact if your running vista, you'll get cheesed off with it always needing permission to update at every reboot or computer stat, that is unless you turn the updates off :rolleyes:

18. fce

fce Registered Member

-- ditto --

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

you two wouldnt know the meaning of resource hog till you try spysweeper 5.5 bloated antispyware of the year.
    superantispyware is very light on resource and has hardly any bugs.
    unlike spyweeper.
    and the uac prompts an due to stupid microsoft and not Nick.
    lodore

20. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Right you are. :)

21. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

On my comp, SAS takes 25 minutes to do a QUICK scan and I find it performs no better than the much maligned Spybot S&D and AdAware SE, which I use. I use an AV, Vista FW and run Spybot and/or AdAware around once a week. I do not consider myself a safe surfer and I do not have any problems with my comp.

22. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

SAS has proved itself in detecting and successfully removing real malware,
    as opposed to simulated malware like the eicar test files.

However, at least on my system, I don't like the cpu 'spikes' which occur
    every second or so when real time is enabled and certain functions are
    performed, such as a context or on demand scan, updating the defs. etc.
    The niggle is that after performing these functions, the cpu spikes
    continue ad infinitum. I can stop them by for eg. r/clicking the desktop>
    Properties and then closing this window.

As on-demand scanner of course these spikes don't occur.

Maybe it's a compatibility thing but then again I have seen other
    posts about this on SAS forum. I think I will now only use it as on-demand
    and hope that future versions will not manifest this problem on my 'puter.

23. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

My quick scan takes about the same to do with SAS, as does my Daughters computer. We both have an 80GB HD. If you did the Ad-Aware upgrade to the 2007 version, please note that it uses anywhere from 21 to 30 Mb of memory even when it's turned off. :blink:

24. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

I'm with ya ChrisP, but look back at the thread now. Looks like our 'ole Ewido buds may be making everything OK after all.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=179073

25. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I have a problem with this. SAS does not protect against 'tests', it only protects against real threats. Yet that presumes it recognizes the threat and, as the SAS people admit, it is impossible to 'know' all threats; the consequence is that when SAS is confronted with something new it will let it through and let it change the Registry etc. With CounterSpy (for example) a new file won't even run unless you allow it and when you do it will be blocked from making certain Reg changes (unless you allow them). In this regard CounterSpy will offer 'better' realtime protection.

Similarly, I'm not convinced that SAS can read encrypted trojans as they unpack into memory in the same way that AVG-AS can for example.

I guess what I'm saying is that while SAS has a reputation for cleaning certain difficult malware, that does not mean it it is the best choice for realtime protection on a clean machine. I remain to be persuaded on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.