Superantispyware Killed my Computer

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Makav3l1, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

A few minutes ago I ran a complete scan. It said it found 2 instances of vundo adware in memory. I went through the clean process and it said it needed a restart to finish. My computer now blue screens after the vista loading bar. What the hell? What should I do about this?

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Remember the file names of the two vundo instances? More importantly, you have the bluescreen STOP error message?

Regards,
    Phant0m``

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

love my rollback Rx :D

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

That's another evidence against Vista. It's been a major chore for security vendors to integrate their great apps for compatibility with Vista. One reason i don't dare touch it with a ten foot pole.

It's taken me some years to perfect and precision fine tune XP Pro to it's absolute best and i won't take the risk of ruining all my own efforts just for this O/S. However, some peeps seem to feel it's the top dog. I wish Vista users all the luck with softwares of any type, not just security, for a satisfactory result, but as for me, XP Pro is the chief.

Actually issues with Vista should be brought immediately to the vendor's attention for a closer review and effort to reproduce the problems & hopefully finally resolve matters on their end.

EASTER

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

none of my apps have had probs in Vista, everything is smooth as silk here :)

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,
    Just my wild guess: perhaps the malwares detected and destroyed by SAS HAVE self destruction mechanism. Taking your system with it.

My other guess: some other AS application may be so lucky to preserve your system by not detecting and deleting these malware.

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Malware can be tricky I have to wonder how MBAM wouls have fared though.

8. Makav3l1

I don't remember the names. The blue screen is a quick flash and power drain noise and then the computer restarts. Any ideas?

9. Phant0m

I cannot hold back... EASTER, your post is totally irrelevant to this topic, and it isn't helping any body but making things worse for the topic owner who's looking for the problem to be resolve smoothly and speedy.

This isn't "another evidence against Vista", if you have something against Vista, post where it's relevant, and not piggyback onto user's help request topics and vent onto them.

10. Phant0m

Hi Makav3l1,

Are you able to access Windows via 'Safe mode', if so it might be a driver related issue... Can you see?

... If you are able to access Windows 'Safe mode', while in 'Safe mode' .. right-click on the 'My Computer' desktop icon and visit 'Properties' in the menu. Then on the left side of the newly displayed window click on 'Advanced system settings', And 'Startup and Recovery' options area, click 'Settings...' button, and temporarily disable 'Automatic restart'. And re-start the Windows and access normal mode..

Regards,
    Phant0m``

11. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

12. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Happend to me on xp as well when cleaning a light infected system, solution: boot in savemode, do a full SAS scan, clean n remove, reboot n voila no more blue screen - btw this is def an old SAS bug not related to any OS Easter :D

13. Makav3l1

It does the same thing when trying to boot into safe mode. It looks like my only options is to hope I can use the recovery cd or reformat.

14. Phant0m

Not so fast Makav3l1, you'll need to use the Windows CD and access the Windows recovery console, and then do; chkdsk /p /r

When it's done, you should be-able to get back into Windows as-is nothing had happened.. :)

Regards,
    Phant0m``

15. Makav3l1

What exactly does that do? Should I do that over startup repair or previous restore points options?

16. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Please don't pay attention to Vista detractors, Vista if anything is a lot more stable than XP. I think if you can't boot into safe mode, you really should consider reinstalling Windows. If it bluescreens even with the installation CD, it means that the partition table might be corrupted (it happened to me using a well known virtualizer). At the time somebody from the forum advised to use GParted live CD (you need another computer to create the CD from an image):

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

But this is an extreme situation, hopefully you should be able to reinstall without any problems, making sure in the future to have a reliable imaging program.

17. Phant0m

You have the Windows Vista DVD? Boot-up into it...

“Language Screen” will come up. Since you have already selected this option when you installed Vista, just click on “Next”.

Now you will see the “Vista Installation Screen”

DO NOT CHOOSE “Install Now”

Instead, towards the bottom left of the window you will see.

· “What to know before installing Windows”

· “Repair your Computer”

Choose and click on “Repair your Computer

You will then come to the “System Recovery Options”. Choose “Microsoft Windows Vista” from the list. Then click “ Next”.

You will now have the option to choose which “Recovery Tools” you wish to use.

Option to visit is 'Command Prompt'....

Running the chkdsk basically recovers and repairs disk problems.... It'll work..., trust me. :)

18. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

After several instances of SAS doing this to customer computers, I never use it at all now. Your main option if to use the Repair option in Windows - otherwise it's an OS reinstall.

19. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb:

20. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

If all else fails I suggest that before reinstalling Windows you run UBCD4Win.This will run a PE based environment that allows you to run various diagnostic and anti-malware utils.You can try running SAS from here also there's a number of other repair tools that may be of assistance.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  21. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I had a computer infected with Vundo. SAS, MBAM, and Avast! were able to quarantine about 80 instances of it. The problem is it is embedded in System32 files, and if I remove the instances from quarantine my computer will not work. Could it be that when you removed Vundo from your computer using SAS, you removed some system files, thereby getting a BSOD?

22. BG

BG Registered Member

please post back and let us know if or how you resolved this. :)

23. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Perhaps, it would also prove useful to check if important system files were deleted.

Using command line, write the following: sfc /scannow

Hope it will help you, also, solve your problem.

Tip: Next time don't clean a system, based on what one antimalware tool says. If it reports something was found, check with other tools. And, also, report it at the official product forum and see what they have to say about it.

P.S: Phant0m, not meant for you. :D Just taking the chance to offer some additional help, in the direction of yours.

24. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

and
    What sort of help did you get on the developer's forum, or via support tickets?

25. Ronin12

Ronin12 Registered Member

Hello, I wanted to add some information as this may or may not relate to your current problem. I have a dual boot system with XP Pro 64 bit and Vista 32 bit. I ran a quick scan with SAS Pro last night and it stated that it found something for the first time. It quarantined two identical files as Vundo variants. The location was in C and D:\Windows\System32\USP.DLL. USP is an acronym for Unicode Scripts Processor. I was suspicious that this was an error so I scanned the files with other security software and also uploaded to VirusTotal.com which showed no malware. I have submitted a false positive report to SAS already so that they may look into this. If by chance one of the files on your system that was quarantined was USP.DLL, then this may cause a BSOD for you. It also may be the other system file but this may be a clue for you since it also happened to me recently. It can be repaired. Hopefully this information might be helpful. I also just received a response from SAS that the false positive was remedied this morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.