Superantispyware blocked by ZA and Uninstall wizard is a joke !

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Philippe_FR22, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Just for the history, the only time i installed SAS free, i also had a failed uninstall. It didn't block anything, but the folder remained and i think i could still launch it directly from the exe in the folder. I don't remember details, i just remember that i was irritated because some files were locked. Can't tell what version it was.

2. fax

fax Registered Member

Sorry can't confirm that.. are you sure your ZA settings are not corrupted?
    SmartDefence will not recognise SAS and ask for permission to access.

Fax

3. Philippe_FR22

Philippe_FR22 Registered Member

Yes I confirm ! I'm speaking about ZAP 7.0.462 (as far as I remember the build number, I'm not at home now)...

To verify that point, I deleted SAS entry on program control, to see if ZAP recognize or not SAS, the next time it will be launched... And the same happens... Entry were automatically insterted on program control tab, with all access denied for this program, due to SmartDefense Advisor return result...

I don't think my ZAP is corrupted, behaviour is OK for all other applications...

Well, never mind, finaly reviews I read, about SAS, ended to decide me to stop using this shareware... Some other applications (I don't want to buy another real time engine for spyware, because ESET do it very well) for offline scanning like Spybot are sufficient for me... And with no annoyance that ask me if I want to buy...

4. Philippe_FR22

Hello,
    Yes, exactly the same for me... Your experience confirms review I read...
    After uninstallation "complete", all subfolders and files were remaining on C:\Program Files\SuperAntiSpyware, and the start menu group and link, in All users (as far as I remember) ... So that I was obliged to clean up all entries that contained the dll names (2 dll in my folder, as far as I remember) and Superantispyware text strings... Then after one reboot, I was able to get rid of the whole folder...

Regards

5. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

6. Philippe_FR22

Ok thank you... I known effectively this method for uninstalling (but I read it after having doing it manualy with jv16 powertool)...

7. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

SUPERAntiSpyware is apparently not for you - no problem. As for the TechSupportAlert review, here is my official response:
    http://forums.superantispyware.com/viewtopic.php?t=779

8. Philippe_FR22

Yes you are right, SAS is not for me (sorry, I tested and did'nt like...) but you are right to defend your application because you are one of the developers...

I consider that for me the discussion is over and I will end with what you mentionned in your official answer to techsupportalert :

"The bottom line on this review is this – if you are going to fly in a plane, would you rather have a pilot that has flown simulators (as in this test) and never ventured into a real plane or a pilot that has actually been flying real airplanes in the heat of battle (SUPERAntiSpyware).
    "

In my case, the pilote that I intended to have was supposed to be a real airplanes pilot... Well, he succeeded in taking off, and to fly, yes ! And weapons seemed to be operationnals but ... Sorry, he did'nt kill any enemies, because there were no enemies during the fly ! But he was not able to land !!! So I decided to change pilot for the next fly...

;-) Sorry for the joke and good luck for your developments...

9. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Very easily fixable. Happens to me. All you have to do is add SAS AND SAS update to trusted and put check marks next to each item. Takes a second to fix and works fine.

10. Dieselman

When you open up SAS and click update there are 2 diiferent apps lauched. SAS itself and SAS update temp. SAS will lock up. Exit out of SAS and open up ZA. Go into program control and find SAS and SAS update temp. Trust both of them and put check marks next to allow for both. Works perfect for me. Then do the same when you install a new version of SAS.

11. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

I lol'ed. :D

Kind of makes you wonder if SAS is one of those kamikaze pilots that don't learn how to land a plane because they don't need to. :D

12. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I think SAS for On Demand, and ThreatFire in RealTime would be an awesome combination. I have used ZAAS with this combo and had no troubles whats so ever.

13. Philippe_FR22

Yes ! Perfectly right !

But this is not the problem for me... Uninstall wizard is the problem ! Well not really a problem, I succeeded in uninstalling, but manually... This is a pitty that this uninstall wizard did not uninstall any component....

14. Philippe_FR22

Yes :) LOL !
    Maybe SAS don't need to land... So good in space !

15. Philippe_FR22

Hmm No trouble, no doubt, as I had !
    No malware to catch, everything is OK !
    Apparently, not so efficient on malware fighting...
    But, when everything is ok and you want to uninstall SAS... You enter the twilight zone !!!!

16. Dieselman

Uninstalls easily for me. Use Revo Uninstaller.

17. Wake2

Wake2 Registered Member

Hi Philippe,

I have five license's for SAS Pro for use on different pc's.

On wife's pc SAS runs real time and has caught malware
    a Trojan Vundo downloader which it blocked, and if you
    look at hijack this forums SAS is a program recommended
    by experts for diagnostics and malware removal.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled this program probaly
    60 times to do upgrades and not once did I ever enter
    the twilight zone uninstalling SAS, nor did I ever run
    into any of the problems that you describe.

Regards,

Wake

18. Philippe_FR22

Hello, so please try to uninstall for 61st time and take time to have a look to your PC...
    - Program files will not be cleaned : SAS folder will remain with all components
    - You will try to delete manualy the folder but you will not be allowed because some dll's are still in use, because of remaining registy keys
    - Hundreds of registry keys will need to be deleted
    - Having a look on your event log, you will see an error because a service could not be launched...

Yes, using some uninstalling tools (revo or registry tools) SAS uninstalling is not a problem ! Simply, developpers did not do their job ! And if you want to pay for full featured SAS, it's a pitty to buy such a non finished application...

Regarding detection capacity and pets eliminating, SAS is recommended by developpers and marketing teams, surely, but many people are not very satisfied with SAS (like me : everything seemed to be ok, SAS did not detect any pets except some cookies - and I'm using NOD32 - but uninstalling SAS made me change my mind)...

19. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

Philippe_FR22,

You really are sounding like a broke record:shifty: :rolleyes:

:thumbd: You assume because you have issue's then everyone alse doseo_O

:thumbd: You post that everyone else should experience issues with SAS uninstall and yet there is no flood of reports from others actually validating this.

For the record i have installed/uninstalled various SAS versions(as i do a lot of private testing for them)in the region of 30+ times easily.In the whole time i only had 1(yes 1!!!) borked uninstall.

Oddly enough reinstalling that version and then uninstalling a second time completed the task so again my experiences do not reflect or reaffirm yours:doubt:

PS i just uninstalled the penultimate PR build and installed the latest private build without a hitch so i'm still not experiencing your *issue*:D :D :D

20. Wake2

Wake2 Registered Member

Hi Philippe,

I agree with fcukdat you really are starting to sound
    like a broken record, I think quite frankly the problems
    you encountered using SAS are unique to you, and to
    your computer probably caused by a PEBKAC error.

To humor you though for the 61st time I uninstalled
    SAS by simply shutting down the program, going to
    add remove in control panel, and clicking uninstall,
    really how easy is that.

Reboot no hundreds of registry keys were left behind,
    no SAS drivers, and no SAS program folder, and no
    errors in event viewer, and I than updated to the
    latest prerelease build of SAS Pro.

All in all was a uneventful episode for me on a side
    note though have to say the latest SAS build is
    looking good !

Now Philippe I purchase software based on quality
    and SAS fits that description amazingly well but
    if you personally do not like the program than
    simply put do not use it.

Regards,

Wake

21. avboy

avboy Registered Member

Well, I confirm this too. SmartDefense automatically sets rules to never allow access to SAS. That is if you leave the entire control to SmartDefense. There SD blocks SAS !!!

Workaround:
    While installing I ticked on suggest but leave the action to me (or some similar sounding option). So SD asked me whether SAS should be allowed? I said yes, and end of story.
    The difference was when SD asked for IE's permission, the traffic light was already green. For SAS traffic light was already Red with an advisory to block it if I was not completely sure. Which very well means that left to itself SD will block SAS.

I am a noob, and not a techie, so dont know the correct jargons, tried to explain in plain english. Hope this helps.

22. fax

fax Registered Member

Yes, they are in contact with ZA, see here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1182977&postcount=12

Fax

23. Wake2

Wake2 Registered Member

I dont use Zone Alarm but good job explaining that avboy.

For Philippe though I do believe the problems that he
    encountered with uninstalling SAS were the result of
    resident protection still being enabled, big mistake,
    I always disable resident protection and prior to
    performing any uninstall.

Regards,

Wake

24. Philippe_FR22

Really, I don't think so... :D

Really, I don't think so... :D
    In fact I had the issue on several PC's (different types) but the only common component were ZoneALarm and it was blocking SAS update.
    So, maybe I didn't have the very last SAS release... Well, I should say that the release was about 4 month ago...

Well : several posts on the internet (just have look to google result on SAS uninstall problem, or Superantispyware uninstall problem) should help you to understand what I experienced... :D

:D
    Uninstall then reinstall is not the problem, everything should stay OK... But totally uninstall (with windows link to SAS uninstall wizard)

:D :D :D Installing new release or re-installing after uninstalling is not the purpose of this discussion. Purpose is : why uninstall wizard provided by SAS did not uninstall either SAS files and folders nor registry keys :D

25. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Well I think it's obvious to everyone that you do have a problem with SAS.
    So if you can not find a solution then I would suggest to find something else that does work and move on.
    I've had problems with some app's (not SAS) and could not find a workable solution so guess what I did?
    I moved on.
    Happyer for it too.
    Just a suggestion. Please don't take offence. Try MBAM or AVG AS or CS or ( choke,dare I say it) something from ESMI Software. (but that last one I personaly don't recomend) For me it's SAS and MBAM, without problems. (maybe i'm just one of the lucky one's) :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.